Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 year old calico who seems to be in wonderful health with one exception, she vommits twice to three times a week. I have had her examined by my vet and he states that she does not have any intestinal blockage or anything along those lines. I recently changed her to science diet sensitive stomach and had great results for about a month or two. Now the vomitting has started again. She has already ruined our carpets and several other pieces of furniture. My wife is at her wits end and this kitty is my baby and I dont want to get rid of her. If anyone can help or has any suggestions please let me know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
she might have a hairball in her stomach that is too big for her to pass... you might want to get some hairball treatment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick response, this is the first time I have posted on a cat forum, and I am sorry to post one of those :roll: questions. I have posted on several fish forums before......so I thank you for your patience with my ignorance. I will give that a try and see how it works thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well you prolly know more about animals then me!!! i just have a new kitten and i read somewhere if they have troubles vommitting then it could be a hairball!

but it is odd that she can eat... and still vomits. wait till Dr.Jean see's this post and she will straighten it up for ya!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Have you had a second opinion from another vet, or are you happy with what this one said.
hopefully drjean will see this and have a very helpful responce for u :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Sometimes eating too fast will cause vomiting. Have you made any more recent changes in her diet since she started Science Diet? Please don't feel bad about your question. It's an important one.

·
Registered
672 Posts
bjohnson said:
she might have a hairball in her stomach that is too big for her to pass... you might want to get some hairball treatment.
I use the stuff from walmart, looks like a tube of brown toothpaste, "malt flavor"... about once every 2-3 weeks and my kitties never have problems. I have only seen Stix with hairballs one time when he was little, and after I started giving them both the treatment, have not had a problem. He actually loves the stuff. Some cats you have to physically put it in their mouths, though.
I hope your problem has a simple solution like this one... :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
jonsgirl, that's an idea worth trying. Although I never saw hair in the occasional vomit, I give the hairball remedy too. I have to put in on their paws and really rub it in though. I'd offer it to the cat first, then try some on the nose, and if necessary, put it on their paws.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi, treating for furballs is the first thing to try, because it sometimes works! However, this is a pretty classic presentation of inflammatory bowel disease (food allergy). She needs a vet checkup.

You can go several ways if that's what the vet thinks it is. First, diagnostics like endoscopic or laparotic biopsies. Both require anesthesia and both are invasive surgery, endoscopy a little more gentle.

Or, you can trial treat. The first choice is a strict hypoallergenic diet. IVD is the one I prefer. It comes in rabbit, venison, duck and lamb flavors. IVD is *much* higher quality than Hill's d/d, z/d or i/d, Purina EN, Walthams or Eukanuba.

The other thing some vets will do, which I would not recommend at this time, is shoot the cat full of steroids. That is a last resort. It's quick and convenient, but has pretty awful side effects, and should not be done unless nothing else works.

I have a pretty detailed report for sale in our bookstore on IBD, its causes and treatments, but you can read the basics in our free article library at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cat Sugar was on all types of food and vomiting every so often until I put her on Science Diet I/D and it kinda died down alot. I changed her to Chicken Soup and she hasn't vomited since except when she ate some ribbon. I went to numerous vets also and emergency vets and they said she was perfectly healthy. Maybe an all natural food may help but of course check out the possibility of what drjean said. Good Luck! :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
My cat has a very sensitive stomach and once I switched to Felidae I had a lot of luck with that and saw a huge decrease in vomiting (only once or so per week instead of once or so per day). My vet also recently gave me some homeopathic Phosphorous which also seems to be helping to alleviate the vomiting. Good luck with your kitty and please don't give up on her yet! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a similar problem with one of my cats
she was vomiting a few times a week

Since useing hairball paste the incidences of vomiting has reduced, now she only vomits about every 2 weeks or so, so much improved

The vet said she had a food intolerance, but we can't figure out which food it is that is causing it
though she does wolf her food, and is probably eating things in the garden, causing the occasional vomiting

though I am going to check out the link Dr Jean posted in IBD as that may be a possibility

hopefully you will see some improvement with the hairball remedy
we tried Science plan sensitive stomach and hairball control with some limited success, it seemed to help a bit, but she won't eat it now

also steer clear of brightly coloured supermarket crunchies, as the red dye can cause problems with some cats

hope this helps
At least you know you're not the only one with a vomiting cat!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have seen other vets but I trust none more than Dr Wofford. Where some vets want to do thier thing behind closed doors and just have you drop the animal off he encourages you to stay and examines the animal in front of you.

I was giving her these hartz hairball treats that she really loves the taste of and my wife has a habit of putting things up(where I cant find them.) I had not given them to her in a couple of weeks. The first time she vommited it did have hair in it. She didnt vomit for a few more days, then it started again. So far things have been better and she has not puked again but, it has only been a day. She has been known to be outside for a while and then run in and eat a lot of food fast, but I really think that this is just a compound of the hairball issue. When she eats she throws up, so she is still hungry, so she eats more a lot faster to get more food than the others(I have three cats) and then pukes it up again. I think you guys have answered my question and I will post updates to her progress. I will continue hairball treatment.... thanks for all the replys :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The red dye in cat food if you dont get it cleaned up immediately as I have found will also permanently stain your carpet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes it sounds exactly like our cat, when she's been sick she gorges herself on loads of food, and then is sick again, a vicious cycle,

try limiting the food after the cat has been sick that might help
we usually feed ours chicken or fish for a day after she's been sick to let her stomach settle before reintroducing cat food

hope your cat is better
ours hasn't been sick for 8 days now (the record is 15 days) so fingers crossed
though I think it is going to be one of those things, as even with the furball remedy she is sick every couple of weeks, though we're still trying to identify if any particular food is implicated in her vomitig

and I agree the red dye colours the carpet very nicely I've found

I've been using 2001 carpet shampoo, and it works quite well

although our next house is going to have laminate flooring (we're moving in a few months) my fiance has promised to sort it out, so will be easier to clear up

good luck
keep us posted
J

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Did you change her food? Dr. Jean gives great recommendations for food. I've been using Wellness canned food for a month or so and my cat's vomiting has greatly reduced. From a couple times a week (I thought it was normal!) to only a couple times per month (and usually, there's hair in it). Perhaps she's having a reaction to an ingredient in her food?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I changed it to science diet sensitive stomach. she was fine after we changed for about a month and a half then..........u know.......

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm not a vet, so I can't give you good, solid advice. I will, however, give you anecdotal advice.

Sabby started vomiting and had diarrhea a couple weeks ago (or was it last week? I don't remember). He was diagnosed with irritable bowell syndrome. My vet put him on really expensive Hills i/d with instructions that when it got better, try Wellness canned again. When I ran out of i/d I tried the old beef and chicken Wellness I had been feeding him and the vomiting returned. So I tried a new flavor and the vomiting and diarrhea ceased.

So, in my experience, feeding a high-quality diet (Wellness canned) and changing up the flavors frequently (I give him three different flavors every day) has solved Sabby's irritable bowell problems. Your mileage may vary.

Maybe Dr. Jean can tell us if Wellness would be good for sensitive stomach?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts