Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a cat forum and I'm sorry if I"m posting in the wrong place.

It was said here many times that for cats - cans are better than dry food (as per Dr.Jean). Is it the same with dog's food? I understand they need different stuff than cats...

I'm asking for my friend who has a dog.

·
Registered
238 Posts
IMO, yes. There was actually an article in the WDJ not too long ago discussing the benefits of canned food for dogs.....claiming that canned foods often contain fresher, high quality ingredients and a higher percentage of meat and tend to be more filling because of the higher moisture content than dry foods.
I give my dogs mostly dry but they get some canned food as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, canned foods are more meat-based than kibble, which can be a better choice for most dogs, but dogs don't *need* wet food to be healthy. For the most part, dogs don't have the same problems getting enough water in their diets like cats do, so most dogs will do fine on a good quality dry food. It would also be very cost-prohibitive to feed only wet food to several large dogs, so most people in the competitive dog world feed either kibble or homemade (BARF, homecooked, etc).

FWIW, my 3 dogs eat a good kibble (Premium Edge C/R) as the base of their diet. I add in other things like cooked meat, yogurt, fish, eggs, rmbs, and wet food as an alternative to the fresher foods, but there's no way we could afford to feed a quality wet food to my dogs exclusively.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts