Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. This is regarding Buddy again. He's been running free rein (whenever George and Herbie let him) around the house now for about 2 weeks.

Herbie is getting pretty good with him and now tolerates him quite a bit. George, on the other hand, I think is jealous and barely lets him move if he sees him. I think this may be hindering Buddy's chances to get to the litter box. I wish wholeheartedly that I could help him but being in a wheelchair and also being pregnant right now I can't bend down to pick him up and get him to the litter box behind closed doors so he can be in peace. My husband works out of the home, of course (basically gone from 7:00 to 5:30), so this is what has been happening lately....

Just within the last week or so I've noticed Buddy make his way into my bathtub and urinate. He's also tried going on the floor in our bedroom but my husband was home to see this and was able to get him to the box. We have never caught him urinating on the carpet but cannot be absolutely sure that he hasn't. He has, so far, never defecated anywhere but his box.

My question is this...since I know he sometimes has a hard time getting to the potty could he have developed a UTI? I know cat's urine stinks normally but the stuff I found in my bathtub seemed really weird smelling and I'm concerned about it.

I thought of the UTI thing because I've heard animals will just relieve themselves anywhere they can if they have one. Since it's so difficult for either of us to be "right there" when he does go potty is there any other way to collect a sample to take to the vet other than plastic wrap over the litter box? This is what we were suggested quite a while ago with one of the other cats. I'm also wondering if anyone knows, or has heard of, if a cat has ever been catheterized to collect a sample. If so, I'm afraid this is the only way we'll find out for sure.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to say the more I thought about it I felt it urgent to call our vet's office. The doctor was out for today but I spoke with one of the technicians. She told me to have my husband come up after work and pick up this kind of litter that is made out of plastic beads or something to collect a sample. We'll have no choice but to lock him in a room tonight to try to accomplish getting a sample but it's best for Buddy I guess.

She did tell me that cats getting UTIs can be fatal but are fine if caught early enough. She asked me if Buddy seems obstructed and he's not. The times we have witnessed him going potty it seems to be a decent amount so at least he's not blocked.

·
Registered
709 Posts

My cat had UTI once, it was because of the food, not enough moisture. May i ask wut food you're feeding him? your case sounds like UTI but I can't be sure of that. I do hope your test comes out negative so that your kitty wont have to go thru surgery! best of wishes for you and your kitty. hopefully you'll get this figured out!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
22Raiynee22 said:
I do hope your test comes out negative so that your kitty wont have to go thru surgery!
Whoa! That scares me. The technician said nothing about possible surgery for a UTI. She just said as long as he's not obstructed it can be treated with antibiotics.

She also said it could possibly be from the food (but doubtful because the other 2 cats eat the same thing) and right now he is on a diet of about 50% boiled chicken and 50% dry cat food (Science Diet Hairball Light) because his poopies had been yellow and soft about a week ago so his vet told me to try the chicken. When his system straightens out totally we are weaning him off the chicken and back to Hairball Light 100%.

·
Registered
709 Posts

Sorry i didn't say it clear enough :oops:(half asleep lol) , it could possibly result in surgery if you catch it too late and he/she's blocked, my kitty had to have surgery, but it was with the previous owners, they said the surgery was about $300(canadian) including everything like the medicine for after. there's another thread going right now about UTI. as dr jean would say, no dry food. Some cats can be fed dry food their whole lives and never have a problem and then the odd one will have a problem. A premium wet food is the best bet to never have issues(Wellness, inova and feldae are the favorites around here) I'm just starting to feed Nutro Natural's pouches, they're pretty good, no by-products, low ash (Vargus doesn't like the chunks tho, he's not used to them :roll: ) Wet food helps A LOT regarding to UTI, even if you're feeding it with dry food. Make sure to keep us posted with the results of your kittie's test! :)

best of wishes! :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Surgery is only needed if the cat is blocked. Here's more info on urinary tract disease:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017

From your description of the diet, I will guarantee you that it *is* a large part of the problem. Light and hairball foods are very high in fiber, which dehydrates the cat and causes the urine to become very concentrated, which in turn contributes to UTI.

Science Diet is not a good quality food. It is based on by-products and corn, which are really inferior sources of protein. See: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=004 for how to assess a food and how to pick a good one.

The other problem is that this diet is extremely unbalanced. The phosphorus load is tremendous with that much chicken, and it is not balanced with the appropriate amount of calcium. Once you get more than 15% of the diet as meat, you *must* balance it with minerals, vitamins, fatty acids, and taurine. See: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=014 for a starter recipe for homemade diets; it will give you an idea of what you need to add to the chicken to balance it.

I would recommend an all-canned diet; if you want to add a little extra meat that's okay, but no more than 15%.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah my cat had a probelm of that sort. She had a bladder stone though. It was causing her pain and her urine was basically red. she had to have surgery ($$$) and have her food switched to a kind for cats prone to bladder stones and urinary tract infections. I felt so bad for her. but she always still went in her litter box, but the liner was all scratched up like she was in pain. I have heard of cats with the same problem going in the bathtub or in other places though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts