Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted Salem in March, neutered, 11 years old.
He’s started waking me up at around 4 am every morning by scratching at my daughters bedroom door until I get up.
He has plenty of food and water etc.
last night he woke me at 4 am, 6.30.
Typically, now I’m up, he’s settled in his bed in my bedroom. It’s driving me mad.
Last night I put a bowl of dry food at the top of the stairs but he still woke me up.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Unfortunately, that's kind of when they wake up and they want food, attention, to go out... Mine is presently waiting until almost 5 AM to jump on me. :(

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
If you're free-feeding him, don't. Give him meals, and let your last one meal (or some treats) just before you go to bed. That may help him to wake up later.

Reactions: jking

·
Registered
105 Posts
I second the scheduled meal times. Play with him more during the day, i know older cats aren't as frisky as younger ones, but they get bored just the same. I put out a couple treat balls with kibble and some treats in them for my youngest to bat around instead of waking me up. Both mine choose 4am if they have no treat balls. I use tennis balls with a couple different size holes cut in them, washed and dried before stuffing. The felt isn't good for dogs teeth, but cats seem to love grabbing it with their nails.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I responded to another post of yours earlier. Apologies, looks like it was an incomplete reference to this one. I have two cats and they start early in the morning, looking to be fed. They'll even cry at the door, if they perceive that we are awake or rousing. Your situation is different. You're providing food to head the cat off at the pass. This suggests that it isn't only a matter of food. I agree with scheduled meal times--I learned that the hard way. In my apartment the cats will follow us. Sometimes its about food and sometimes, yes, they just want to be around people. My cats often sleep in one of the kids bedrooms. If it's feasible, you might try letting Salem have evening access into the bedroom of someone who doesn't do the a.m. feeding--my wife or I do the morning feeding--door stays closed.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Alas, I have always used scheduled mealtimes with my cats - well, ever since I had a dog that would eat anything left down for the cats. In my experience, cats wake early and want feeding, attention, and to go out. It's very tiresome that our schedules simply do not match up in the morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue, but at least I have now a more of a platform bed kind of like this one, so my cat can`t reach me, hehe. But he still screams sometimes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts