Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tyra seems to like running out of my apartment & down the hallway, so i decided to get her a harnass & leash to try to teach her how to walk. the harness doesn't bother her, but it seems like she thinks the leash is a toy. i got her out into the hallway walking a bit, but every now and then she'll plop down, roll over, and try to bite and play with her leash.

any suggestions on how to break her of that habit and try to teach her how to walk a bit? i would like to get her prepared since when i move in the future, there will no longer be a hallway outside of the front door.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My cat does the same thing!!!! I'm curious to hear some answers, because I've tried walking my guy, and he does the same thing - I mean, it's a little hard to walk a cat I think....they are just sort of going to do what they want, right?

Here's Huckle after one of his many escapes into the hallways of the apartment building....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've tried many attempts to walk the cat with not much luck, he keeps trying to get out of his harness or he just rolls on the ground and gets all tangle. I guess that's why you don't see too many people walking their cats. But my cats still dart for the door when it's open and it's harder now cause we have too. would love to hear some advice.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
You guys, you *are* walking your cats. After some time, your kitties should understand that being on the harness means you get to go outside or explore something new. Many cats just walk a few feet and then plop right down. My cats will make it as far as the backyard and then I attach them to the clothesline. They can then sniff and wander to their hearts' content (with supervision of course).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
LOL Dylan walks a tiny bit on his lead, and he is getting better - yesterday I took him outside to the lil garden and just sat on the grass and let him wonder as he pleased. He did this for a bit then came and sat on my lap just listening to everything going on. He isn't used to the noises yet but he was quite happy there.

I think it just takes a lot of time and patience, try taking Tyra out for a few minutes each evening and if she wants to play with the leash when outside in a safe place let her... It will build her confidence and she will feel more secure in a weird environment.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Leave their harness on all the time indoors (unless you are brushing them of course) to get them used to wearing it - simply putting it on when it's time to walk makes them uncomfortable - because it's three new things he's having to get used to two at once: The harness, the leash and you controling him. Once he gets used to the harness - take him outside with the leash and don't expect him to walk like a dog. At best he will want to explore the yard a bit - check out the bird feeder and plop down for some sun rays.

I would recomend the leash that you can let out for a few feet - but if he goes to far - that you can click and will stop him.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, we took Sid to the pet store yesterday on his harness and leash - since all your pets have to be leashed. He was scared at first and he was holding on to me like a little baby! *LOL* Eventually he got used to the smells and the noises and he was walking around exploring! :)

Anyway, he used to just plop down on the ground after you put it on him, but eventually (with lots of practice and patience) he figured out that he could walk around with it and it won't "kill" him! :p

I have trained him to come when I snap my fingers and call his name, and that helps when you are out walking your cat since you want them to walk in the same direction you want to / or is safe for both you and them. Well, hope that helps!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hmm... my cats think something is obstructing them with a harness and just crouch down or lay down. Is that something that goes away with time? I can't imagine leaving them in the harness unattended. Too scary. I've seen what they can do within 5 minutes of having a collar around them...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've trained my cat Raja to "move" when I make a kissy sound. She really likes to just stop and sit, but if I make a kissy sound she will start walking again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts