Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My cat was an outdoor cat before we adopted him at about 8 months old. We allowed him out at first until we realized he was a fighter so we decided to walk him on a leash. This worked out great at first but my husband is so bonded with our cat he literally does anything, Gatsby our cat, wants. So if our cat doesn’t get to go out whenever he wants on the leash he will just meow until we take him out. My husband immediately jumps up to do his bidding whenever he meows and this has become a problem. Gatsby wants to be outside for 5+ hours a day, essentially still an outdoor cat with a human attached. This is ridiculous to me but i get roped into it because i feel bad letting my husband do it all but the cat and his schedule now rule our lives and its getting to me. Ive discussed it with him and he acknowledged he created this by giving the cat whatever he wants but is not willing to do the work with me to change it. I am beyond frustrated and cant take it anymore. Any advice on how to wean our cat from so much outdoor time? I’m at my ropes end with this situation....

·
Registered
652 Posts
Maybe he could be an indoor/outdoor cat? I'm not really suggesting this as it can be risky. You don't want to get parasites in the house. Do you have a lot of predators and/or traffic? Maybe you could get a catio? The one that attaches to the house so he can safely enjoy some outside time whenever he wants.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He can’t be indoor/outdoor unfortunately because he fights with other cats due to being in a survival situation in a feral colony before we adopted him. I’d like to do a catio but my husband isn’t keen on it as he’s always thinking about resale , lol, but maybe at some point he will give in. It just seems like nothing will change if we don’t agree it has to change and right now he thinks its okay until I get upset after he’s been out walking the cat for 3 hours straight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically our cat is beyond spoiled. Never had a cat this needy but he knows he gets what he wants from my husband and really uses it for all its worth!

·
Registered
652 Posts
He can’t be indoor/outdoor unfortunately because he fights with other cats due to being in a survival situation in a feral colony before we adopted him. I’d like to do a catio but my husband isn’t keen on it as he’s always thinking about resale , lol, but maybe at some point he will give in. It just seems like nothing will change if we don’t agree it has to change and right now he thinks its okay until I get upset after he’s been out walking the cat for 3 hours straight.
Does he fight with they neighbor's cats? He's very lucky to have been rescued from a feral colony! Maybe, hopefully, he'll give in to the idea of a catio. I really have no other ideas. Maybe someone else on here has some.
Basically our cat is beyond spoiled. Never had a cat this needy but he knows he gets what he wants from my husband and really uses it for all its worth!
Smart kitty! He is very lucky to have you two!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts