Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our cat (6 years old) has always been and indoor cat. However we noticed he likes to stare out the window a lot and he got more interested in what's outside. He's usually too scared to go outside even when the door is open, but recently we tried to take him out with a leash and now he's gotten more brave. He's not afraid to walk outside the door anymore to the point where we have to be very cautious about opening the door.

We take him out on the leash about once per day... but he doesn't seem satisfied and wants to go out more and more to the point where he's whining constantly. We don't want to let him roam freely outside since he has always been a very timid indoor cat.

Any suggestions on what to do? I sort of regret ever taking him outside.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
This is why I tell everyone when they want to start taking their cats out on a leash that you run the risk of them always wanting out. All my friends who have done it regret it. They ended up making their cats indoor-only again. It takes a while.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree it's quite difficult to find a balance. The more you take a cat out, the more he/she seems to want to go out. I take Newt out about once a week; I find this is a good balance for her. She still complains sometimes wanting to go out, but it's more or less under control. Engaging them with a lot of active play when they start complaining also helps.

If you're in a position to build some sort of a catio or outdoor enclosure, I think that would also be an option.

I think all cats have a certain instinctual sense of the outdoors, even if one has never placed a paw outside.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I let my cats come and go as they please. I don't recommend it for everyone, but we were desperate. They were peeing all over the house and we tried EVERYTHING to get them to stop and I finally got fed up and threw them outside because the only other option was the shelter where they would probably be put to sleep.

Anyway, back to the topic, letting them go outside works for our living situation. We live on a cul-de-sac and the neighbors are used to cats all over the place so they are cautious and don't mind cats wandering into their yards. There are no busy streets near-by, everyone in the neighborhood keeps their dogs secured (once in awhile one will get out, but they've always been fine with the cats), and there are no wild animals.

At first they never wanted to come inside. Then they only spent about a third of the time outdoors. Now that the weather is turning, they spend most of their time indoors.

For the most part, it fixed the problem with them peeing on the floor. Hopefully the cold weather doesn't ruin that.

I don't recommend letting them outside unsupervised unless your location is safe for it. Ours is, and I still fretted the first couple of nights they were out...I even slept on the sofa.

Some sort of outdoor cat chase or enclosure would be ideal.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts