Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a new cat from the shelter. He will only eat dry cat food and only 1 or 2 brands. He likes SD naturals best chicken & rice which they just stopped making and he will eat some blue buffalo dry. He will only lick the gravy from caned food he will eat none of the morsels. He will not eat caned tuna, or peel and eat shrimp or chicken or any table food. He just paws the floor near where we put the bowl. We have bought almost every kind of cat food Petco sells only to have to give it to the shelter when he won't eat it.
Any Ideas?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
My big guy won't take bites out of canned food for some reason. He laps at it and once it's too dry for any bits to come off he walks away. I started adding hot water and mashing it up to a thick pancake batter consistency and he laps it all right up now.

The kitten will bite into it at first but after it gets too low in the bowl and he has to get his face right in there he does the same thing..just walks away and begs me for food when he still has it right there. I started doing the same for him and now no problems. They both lap it right up.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Did you try warming the wet food a bit b4 serving? Sometimes they like it a bit warm like a mouse's body temperature and also warming can intensify the scent. Cats have a strong sense of smell and they usually make dry food very enticing by upping the scent.

I put my cat's 2.6 ounce breakfast in the microwave for about 18 secs b4 serving.

I suppose if you want, you can always try raw. Just a small piece of raw chicken to start?

·
Registered
594 Posts
When my kitties decide they don't want their canned, I mix in some freeze-dried raw food into it. Soon its all gone. I also found they really prefer the pate styles, the minced and shredded meat doesn't go over so well, they only want the lick the gravy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I never knew that some cats don't like canned food. For the first few months, I was giving Josie half dry and half canned, and she always ate it up. When she was having some litterbox issues, I learned that all canned is better, so I stopped feeding dry and switched to 100% wet without any issues. I had no idea that I was lucky to be able to switch so easily.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I also remember a post where someone kept the can in a gas oven so its a little above room temperature. I tried that, but had a huge mess to clean up when I forgot the can was in there and pre-heated the oven for something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas, some of them I have tried like warming it up and mashing it up with a little water. He will not eat any meat or fish cooked or raw. He will not eat baby food. He just eats his SD naturals best chicken & rice and when I can't get that anymore I'm not sure what I'll do. I took him to the vet when we got him he weighed 12 pounds last week at the vet he weighed 15 pounds he is not fat he is big. So he's getting enough food.

·
Registered
716 Posts
are you free-feeding him the dry or do you have him on a meal schedule?

·
Registered
978 Posts
My cat won't eat wet food.

I tried for 2 months (with many brands/consistencies) with no luck. I decided I'll just feed her high quality kibble and be done with it. I guess some cats just don't like wet food.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I agree- ALL cats can be transitioned to wet food.

Both Evie and Mitzi's previous owners said they categorically wouldn't so much as touch wet food. Now all they eat is wet food. It can be done, I'm not saying it's easy, but to be quite honest it's really not that difficult- like anything, all you need is perserverence.

To cats who have only ever eaten dry food, wet food is so alien to them- it doesn't register as food at all. When you start mixing in water, or crushed dry biscuits, or fish food (worked wonders with Evie) you need to do it again and again. Don't try it once and then give up because they haven't eaten it. Cats need to become familiar with the new food before they have the confidence to try it.

The health consequences of feeding dry really do outweigh the inconvenience of switching a cat to wet food. Since I've done it my two are so healthy- the vet commented that I must be doing something right as she rarely sees such healthy cats, especially indoor ones (I live in England, so indoor cats are a rariety- the ones my vet does see tend to be overweight and depressed).

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm going to definitely try some of the ideas on this thread. I've been trying to get Orry (he's 3 1/2 yrs.) to eat wet food for a while now but he's resisting and I start feeling guilty about him not eating. I give in every time. My husband says all I've managed to do is teach him to hold out. Should I try to entice him with the "kitten" variety cans? Tough love IS tough.
Lucy:blackcat

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't know about "kitten" foods, but maybe you could try the stinky lower-quality wet foods like Meow Mix, Fancy Feast, Whiskas, etc. Those brands wouldn't be great for long-term use, but maybe to get him used to the texture of wet food, and then transition over to higher quality foods once he accepts the change.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'll agree with LadyK here - at least to get him started, although I didn't have any transition problems as my kitties had gotten wet as a treat a few times a week before and took to the all wet diet quite well. It does seem like if the food is not stinky (to me anyway), they turn their noses up at it, so I mix in something else, either freeze dried raw or bonito (tuna) flakes. Maybe it doesn't smell like anything to them if I don't think its stinky. Sometimes it only takes sprinkling a little on top and then they eat all the food up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts