Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old cat named Corvina. About a month and a half ago she stopped eating. Vet said she has an abdominal mass, but with steroids, she could live a long life. Started her on Prednisolone every 12 hours for a week, then down to once a day for a week, then they wanted me to lower it to once every other day. A few days into twice a day, she started eating, so I was able to put the meds in her food. At once a day, she was doing great, eating everything she could get her paws on. After a week of every other day, she got nauseous again and stopped eating. Took her back in, they gave her a long lasting steroid shot, antibiotics because she was running a fever, and Mirataz as an appetite stimulant. After a couple days she started eating a little bit again, but was still nauseous. Last Saturday, I made an appointment to put her to sleep because the doc wouldn't prescribe anything for the nausea without further tests, which I can't afford. I hadn't given her the appetite stimulant since Friday because I was hoping for a new script. By the evening on Saturday, she started showing signs of her old self, a little interest in food, even though she didn't eat, etc. I canceled the appointment on Sunday and researched Mirataz. Turns out a small number of cats developed vomiting on it, but in her case more nausea because she wasn't eating anything to throw up. I have not given her that med since. I decided to give it a few days, let it get out of her system and see how she does on just the steroid. After a couple days, she started to very gingerly eat tiny amounts of food. Then she stopped eating again after about 2 days and hasn't eaten since.

I am looking for advice, recommendations, other people with similar experiences, etc. I am not ready to say goodbye to my fur baby. She's only 6 and I can't believe that there isn't anything else I can do for her. I've tried changing foods, giving her broths, CBD oil. Nothing seems to help. She is still drinking water and urinating. She is still moving around the house, sitting in her boxes, watching the birds outside. But she has lost so much weight and now she won't even let me pick her up because she thinks its med time every time I go near her. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance 😿

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
I had to say goodbye to my Cinderella at age 7. So not fair, way too young. It was the hardest thing to do, my first loss, but the kindest thing for my little girl. When she stopped eating, that's when I knew it was time. She was terminal, and I wasn't going to do do anything to keep her around just for me when I knew she was suffering.

Corvina brought so much joy and love into your lives and now it's time to do what's best for her. I'm so sorry that all of you are going through this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts