Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, when my cat urinates, his rear end is raised very high and misses the box completely and therefore, pees in the shower. Help! What can I do? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The bad news is, he's not missing. He's intentionally doing it, and it's called spraying. That's exactly what my Ginza does, THANKFULLY he does it in the litterbox area only. Since yours' only doing it in the shower litterbox, hopefully it's easier for you to clean.

When I catch Ginza doing it, I calmly say "NO please." and push his hind end down gently to the box. You don't want to spook him in his bathroom which would lead to him doing it someplace else. Hopefully after 3 or 4 times, he'll get the message that that position is not a desired one. Ginza still does it, but only occasionally, and I'm building a special litterbox area with linoleum so it'll be easier for me to clean and I don't have to keep lining the area.

One suggestion I've heard about, but haven't tried, is coating the area with aluminum. Apparently they don't like the sound when they do their business.

Hopefully others will have more suggestions. If anything else comes to mind, I'll add it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Many cats do this; especially if they're getting older and a little arthritic in the hips and knees.

Solution is easy: get a taller box. Rubbermaid storage boxes are perfect for this; mine is something like 50 gallons but you can probably get by with something smaller! :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts