Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My family (3 out of 4) have all very recently shown symptoms of COVID. The symptoms have been mild (periodic sore throat, slight runny nose, diarrhea, etc.). All four of us have received both Pfizer vaccination shots (and had previously had COVID before about a year ago). We are all feeling normal this week.

However, for the past few days, our 7-year-old female cat has not been acting herself. More lethargic, eating less, etc. I'm sure it is quite likely that she caught COVID from us.

How should we move forward? I have read cats are more susceptible than dogs. Our cat was just at the vet about three weeks ago and given a clean bill of health. Is it recommended to take them to the vet for COVID? Should it run its course in the matter of a week or two?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good news! Took her to the vet last night. Blood work came back fine. No COVID, no UTI. Thinking it was just a change in her dry food. The place we get it at was out, so we went with another variety (actually three, after seeing she wasn't too fond of the first new one). She was dehydrated a bit; no temperature. So it looks like we just need to be patient. Oh, and her normal food is back in stock!

·
Registered
831 Posts
There is so far absolutely no evidence that cats can catch Covid.
Glad that you are all doing better.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I disagree with cats not catching Covid. Recent studies have shown that animals can get it so until we know for sure, precautions are recommended.

But great news for R! One suggestion to you is to give your cat wet food along with the dry, and put out a bowl of fresh water every day to make sure she stays well hydrated, because too much dry food can cause all sorts of health problems. Very glad you and your family made it through the Rona okay!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I disagree with cats not catching Covid. Recent studies have shown that animals can get it so until we know for sure, precautions are recommended.
Really? I had not heard of this and am very interested. Can you post what studies were done, by whom and where? I want to read them.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks, Marie. It does say in that article that it is extremely rare, but knowing that it can happen is a good thing to know.

·
Super Moderator
26,940 Posts
Yeah, when I had Covid over a year ago, it wasn't even on my radar. I just enjoyed the time I had without being able to smell when I cleaned their litter box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts