Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, we realized that our 2 year old cat was losing weight and not eating. She went to the vet yesterday and was diagnosed with mouth ulcers. She was given a steroid injection, antibiotic injection and fluids. Then they sent us home with special calorie dense wet food. She has been confined to a room for about 24 hours now and has not touched the wet food. We have never given her wet food before. Any advice on how to get her to eat the wet food? The vet said we may have to syringe feed her but I would love to avoid that.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Right now I would give her anything she'll eat (soft, of course). Try tuna, most cats can't resist that. Or a fish-flavored Fancy Feast. Or you can add water to her dry food and make it mushy, but make sure she eats it right away or bacteria will form on it rather quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
If you have some canned salmon, tuna or sardines, use some of the juice to make food your vet gave you soft almost soupy. Try to get her to lick it off a spoon; but failing that use a syringe or eye dropper. You may also try her on baby food (chicken) or some cooked chicken that's been put in a blender to make it easier for her to swallow. Hope some of these suggestions work for you, and she starts eating soon. All the best!

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
If you try baby food, please make sure it doesn't contain garlic.

How is she doing now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice! I did end up syringe feeding her a little of the wet food last night. Then this morning I gave her dry food with a little water mixed in and she ate that right up! So I'm thankful that she ate something. I'd still love to get her to eat more of the wet food since it has extra calories but I have a feeling that she is just a cat that will not eat wet food.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Glad to hear she's eating!

You might want to get some Nutrigel (or Nutrical).

A palatable high calorie dietary supplement for use in dogs and cats lacking adequate nutrition over a prolonged period of time.
Most of my girls liked the taste, it's just a gel that they can lick off your finger, packed with calories. One of my girls didn't care for it, so I would put it on her paw so she would have to lick it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts