Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some encouragement and experiences people have had with a cat with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. My almost 6 year old cat was diagnosed with mild hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with a mild obstruction and they prescribed a beta blocker to lower blood flow. His blood pressure was 190 but they think its cuz he was fighting during appointment. He has no clinical signs, ekg was good, respiratory rate and heart rate good except he has a murmur due to the heart disease. I want to know what kind of time frame I am looking at. Has anyone had a cat with this that survived more than a year or two. Cardiologist said there is no way to tell for sure if it will progress or not. He was at like 1.3 for the ratio in size and not in heart failure or experiencing any symptoms. Any words of advice or encouragement?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I meant to reply sooner. So sorry for leaving you hanging... and worrying.

I have 11 years+ experience with "cardio cats", but whether any are/were "obstructive", I don't know. It's a very complex subject to write about -- that I know -- and my observations and experience might having nothing (or little) to do with your situation.

The mere fact that your cat is 6 years old should be very encouraging, in itself. I assume he is an indoor cat and not exposed to the activities that an outdoor cat would be. You don't say what caused you to take him to the vet, that led to his diagnosis, but you do say he shows no symptoms. Frankly, I think the fact that he shows no symptoms should be encouraging, too.

Best regards.
:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.