Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cat wasn’t eating and was losing weight. Turns out he had a tooth infection, so he had dental surgery done. The next few days after the surgery we gave him wet food just in case his mouth was sore. It’s been two weeks and he barely eats his dry food. He’ll eat wet food and we give it to him about 3 times a day. But he has always had a sensitive stomach and throws up his wet food a lot. Anytime we go into the kitchen he thinks we’re feeding him. I’m afraid he’s hungry, but I’m not sure how to get him to eat the dry food.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Altho the wet canned food is better for him than the dry, depending on the ingredients, and cats often become too dehydrated eating dry as they may not drink enough water, you could soften his present dryt food with a little hot water, or some juice from a can of salmon/sardines. Here's a very good link on nutrition for cats by a vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first we were putting water in his dry food to soften it and he was eating it. But even if we do that he still won’t eat it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You could try mixing a little dry food in with the wet. If he eats that, then gradually increase the amount of dry. Maybe add a little water, or even low-sodium chicken broth if he like the taste.

Also, pay attention to what kind of wet food he's eaten before he throws up. It took me a while to figure out that one of my cats couldn't tolerate anything with salmon in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my cat wasn’t eating his dry food at first because he got a tooth infection and needed dental surgery. Well we got him the surgery and his mouth looks really good but he still won’t eat his dry food. We’ve had multiple check ups and all his labs are good and he’s not constipated or anything. I try to mix in dry food with his wet food but he knows how to pick around the dry food. We have two types of dry food and he won’t eat either but he will eat treats. Does anyone have ideas on how to get him to eat dry food because putting him solely on wet food is expensive?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
You could try crushing the dry a bit in a blender (or possibly a rolling pin?) and mix it with something like a little sardine oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.