Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I buy my cat wet food, and when I open the can, he becomes very excited and will chase me as I go to set it down for him to eat. He will lick the top off and then leave the food sit until the next day or the day after when he finally eats it.

I've tried many different brands from Wellness, Science Diet, Iams, Fancy Feast, and he does the same thing for all brands.

Is it unhealthy for him to eat it after it has been left out over night? If so, does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing that I would have against having him leave it sit over night is the smell. (If there are no health issues)

He will eat cooked meats as soon as I give it to him.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I buy my cat wet food, and when I open the can, he becomes very excited and will chase me as I go to set it down for him to eat. He will lick the top off and then leave the food sit until the next day or the day after when he finally eats it.

I've tried many different brands from Wellness, Science Diet, Iams, Fancy Feast, and he does the same thing for all brands.

Is it unhealthy for him to eat it after it has been left out over night? If so, does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing that I would have against having him leave it sit over night is the smell. (If there are no health issues)

He will eat cooked meats as soon as I give it to him.
How old is he? Cooked meats are good. It's a good start. What is your ultimate goal? Canned? Raw?

If it is canned, try to go for a grain free one. Taste of the Wild and Blue Buffalo Wilderness are two that I recommend. Try mixing a bit of cooked meat in it. If you have to, go 50/50 and gradually cut back on the cooked meat until you're 100 percent canned.

Or you could do one better and just give him cooked meat, but cook the meat less and less until it is raw (this may take a few months, but it is so worth it). Then gradually add in chicken wings, necks and backs. Then organ meats such as liver and kidney. Much better and more natural for them. Aim for 0.25 to 1/3 pound of raw meat a day for the average sized house cat (10 pounds).

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts