Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor 15 yeaar old kitty stopped eating. She never did that before at least not more than a day. Dr gave mirtazapine. Tat did not help. Now have to run blood tests. Has any one gone threw this? Thanks for responding.

·
Super Moderator
26,625 Posts
I would be worried, too, Vonnie. I'm sorry you're going through this. The blood tests will reveal more information, though. Have you tried offering your kitty some tuna (the kind people eat) or chicken or turkey-flavored baby food (without garlic)? When Cinderella was sick, she would eat those foods sometimes. Some cats respond to food sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, or warmed up chicken broth added to their food.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. Tuna was the 1st thing I tried. And some popeyes chicken. the white meat also, which she loves. No result. She's drinking lots of water. Gave her the 1st martazapine tablet yesterday. Supposed to make her hungry. All she wants to do is sleep. Thank god I can call the vet tomorrow. I have 3 more pieces of tablet to give kitty. Taking her for blood test on Wed. Worried, all I can do is check on her and make sure she is breathing. Marrissa is 15 years old. Thank you for the suggestions. Sitting here driving myself crazy.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
So sorry you’re both going through this. Is there a way to see the vet on Monday? That would be ideal. Hope they can see you sooner.

·
Super Moderator
26,625 Posts
It's good that she's drinking water. Some members have had luck with sardines, but if Marrissa won't eat tuna, I'm not sure that sardines will tempt her. I would ask to reschedule her blood tests to tomorrow if possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's good that she's drinking water. Some members have had luck with sardines, but if Marrissa won't eat tuna, I'm not sure that sardines will tempt her. I would ask to reschedule her blood tests to tomorrow if possible.
Hi Marie, Wish I could, wont have money for it till Wed. Calling them tomorrow to see if giving her more of the medication will work. They gave me enough for a week. Maybe it will have effect on the 2nd dose.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Hello Vonnie
How is your girl doing? Has she eaten any thing since your last post?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I have. My cat had kidney disease which is extremely common with older cats. That medicine made him very drowsy, so I’m not surprised you cat just wants to sleep. I think I remember reading that mirtaz can sometimes have the opposite effect and some cats won’t have any appetite. Try feeding your kitty one of those packets of gravy/sauce-like cat food. As a last resort, you will have to try force feeding through a syringe. It’s not fun but sometimes it will boost their appetite. Good vibes for your sweet kitty!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my Maine Coon. She started losing weight and was very lethargic. It appears after the blood work was done that she has hyperthyroidism. I understand the numbers should be around 1 to 4 but hers hit somewhere around 14! Doctor put her on a topical called Methimazole and after two weeks she seems like her normal self again, playing with her siblings and eating like she used to. This is a condition normally found in older cats and your cat qualifies there. I have another cat, a Stumpy Manx, that was diagnosed several years ago and was put on the same medication. She eats regularly and her blood work comes back within normal limits now. The key is BLOOD WORK. Without it the vet has no clue what to do to treat your gal. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts