Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this site, so please bear with me if I break any unknown rules on the forum. :oops:

I adopted Whiskey last Monday (June 29) from the local SPCA. They estimate his age to be about three years old as he was found by a rescue group, roaming the streets in a town nearby, then transferred to the SPCA. He's super affectionate and loves cuddle and be where me and my roommate are. He's a bit like a dog sometimes. He comes when he's called and races to the door when we come home after being out all day. This is the reason I chose him. I actually believe he chose me. He was the only cat at the SPCA to come see us and the others ignored us completely. He even showed us his belly right away. He loves belly rubs! I love him to pieces and even though I had some second thoughts on day of getting him (I have PTSD and depression and he triggered some emotions I wasn't expecting), he's mine and I'll be with him for the rest of his life. I have a concern regarding his behaviour though. Like I said, he's super affectionate, sweet and has adjusted to his new home incredibly well! But he won't play. I've given him some space with the toys I've got for him, and occasionally introduce different little balls and cat toys to him, but he just stares at them then wanders off. I know cats are often fickle and choose to play when they feel like it and not when we want them to, but he's never played with them. He has full access to the toys whenever he wants, but he prefers to sleep on the couch or on my bed or on one of our dining room chairs. He is very food oriented and I expect that may be due to his being on the streets for a little while. He is definitely a bit untrusting, which I understand completely! I would just love to be able to play with him. Is he just adapting to his new surroundings or is this something that he will never do? I appreciate any help anyone can provide! I will also post an introduction to Whiskey on the intro forum! He's very cute! :)

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Sounds like he had a deprived upbringing and was raised on the streets, so may never had toys as play things. Likely he considers playthings as things that are alive such as mice, moles, insects (grasshoppers, crickets, butterflies), birds, baby bunnies. Find him a real grasshopper and see how he behaves with that. He might be attracted to a small toy snake attached to a string that you can slither along the floor. Have you tried him with a wand toy with feathers on the end of it, and flitted it around imitating a bird.....he might like that one. With some cats if you toss a catnip filled mouse around they are interested, and some even learn to retrieve it to you like a dog to throw again. He has such admirable qualities and he's such a sweetheart already that I wouldn't be too worried about it. You did the right thing by getting him when he chose you......that always works out to a closer bond than when a person chooses the cat. Count yourself lucky!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats on being chosen.
We sometimes assume cats will behave certain ways but if you don't know how they grew up it can be confusing. Like humans early lessons shape who they are. I had a similar cat once. It's a hard knock life on the street. It sounds like he needs you to be a play partner until he sees he can entertain himself. I heartily recommend 'Da Bird' wand toy, you will both enjoy it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've had 4 cats in the past 30 years. Only one was even remotely interested in toys no matter what I tried. But then they were all "street cats" so maybe that's the answer! This one will sometimes bat a mouse then stop and stare at me to get my attention as tho to say" ok I played with your stupid toy now give me my treat"

·
Registered
139 Posts
You might try throwing a few treats for him to run after. The soft ones can be ripped on half ti have twice the fun!

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Another thing you might try are cat puzzle toys, which you put some treats into them, and cat has to figure out how to get them out. Here's a selection......

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with the other replies, cats definitely choose you and congratulations.
I have many cats of different backgrounds. Some are more playful than others. My formally feral female took awhile to play with toys. She would look at them with disgust, like “what’s the point, I can’t eat it.”
but after a week or so of “housecat life” she started to come around and is very playful.
I also do recommend “da bird” cat toy. All my cat’s love it. Even the lazy ones. Lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts