Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. Just a little history: My grandfather found a black cat in their backyard a few months ago. He was already infected with calicivirus when we found him and had the flu. I decided to keep him in my apartment. Took him to the vet etc. It was okay at first. I don't know if it's because he's not neutered or something else but he's so agressive now. He meows non stop, especially at night. And when I try to pet him, he scratches me. Yesterday, he wanted to go out. Since I live in the city, I won't let him out. Suddenly, he jumped on me and scratched my face. I have to attend a wedding today and my face is all scratched! Everyone tells me to get rid of him and go buy a pure breed instead. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure if he'll get any better if I get him neutered. Your advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
It may be there is a female in heat, which is making him aggresive and want to get out.
nutering will calm him down a lot.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I say go and neuter you lil boy. It will only help him be healthier and not want to go to every female calling..... 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It really shouldn't matter if the cat is purebreed, its just a matter of their personality. Most cats are absolutely loveable, it depends on how they are treated and taken care of. In this case, I agree with everyone, just get him neutered and see what that does. Then spend some time talking to him and letting him get to know you. It sounds like he's just scared to be living with someone (as well as interested in female cats outside, possibly). Get down at his level, if its safe to do so :) and play with him, and tell him he's a good cat!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sounds like he is seriously horny and smells a female, and he's pissed that you're not letting him. I definitely agree, a neuter is in order, so he'll calm down, and not add to the cat overpopulation. While you're at the vet's, have them show you how to clip his nails so they won't scratch you as badly.

Also, tell your friends that buying a purebred will not guarantee the cat's behavior. You can do a search and read many posts of purebreds that are just as mean or ornery or unfriendly as regular cats. It all depends on their background, and how they were treated. My four cats are all mixed breed, and they are the sweetest little beings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
-

Thank you all for the replies. I've been really busy for the past few days so could not post a reply earlier. Mee (I named him "Mee" b/c when he meows, he sounds like "Mee") can be really good and friendly at times. My neighbour has a cat. I don't know if it's male or female but it meows a lot too. Maybe he hears and responds? Still, he's a little wild and I don't know his past. Hopefully, neutering him will fix this. I have to wait until he recovers from the flu.

My mom has the sweetest cat and he's not a purebreed. I guess this is just luck. I want to keep Mee as long as I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts