Cat Forum banner

cat won't stop viciously biting tail

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ioana 
#1 ·
4 weeks ago i picked up a starving stray persian cat. looked after it for a day, took it to the vet, and decided to keep him. up until 2 days ago he was the perfect cat - playful, loving, though a bit shy, and almost never meowed.

all of a sudden his behavior changed. he didn't want to play, became very reclusive, and most of all he won't eat or drink.

i picked him up yesterday and noticed a trail of blood on the floor. looked at him and saw the tip of his tail was covered in blood. i set him in my lap and he just starts viciously attacking his tail. now whenever i take my eyes off of him for even a second he bites his tail until i stop him. if i set him down to let him eat he runs off to hide under beds or furniture and bites his tail until he cries. i've tried bandaging his tail but he just tears them right off.

hopefully the vet will let us in tomorrow but for now can anyone suggest anything that would help? i'm gonna be up all night watching over him. he seem really depressed and currently has a kung-fu grip on my shoulder.

#2 ·
First of all I would like to applaude your act of kindness of adopting this sweet kitty off the streets.

I have no idea what is the problem with the tail - he might have gotten in a fight and when he was on the streets and it is only now that the tail is reacting. Or he might have got injured at your place without your knowing it.
Not eating or drinking is not good at all and I am happy to hear you won't delay taking him to the vet right away. Best of luck and please keep us posted.
p.s. Have you tried giving him canned kitten food which would be higher in calories in this situation where he won't eat at all/much? Jeanie suggested to somebody to put some on the paw this way he will swallow at least a little plus get a little water from the wet food - which his body needs every day!
Also if he continues not to want to eat repeat the procedure with Nutrical as well - it is a product high in calories for kitties that have a small intake of food due to recovering from surgeries, different illnesses, old age.

#3 ·
thanks - getting a cat was probably the best decision i've made in a long time. aside from this tail thing and his tear stains, he's completely trouble-free. definately the best animal i've ever owned (and i've had a lot).

luckily i got bob to start eating again. he won't eat out of a dish so i had to hand feed him his food. judging by the rate he was eating i could tell he was starving.

another thing i forgot to mention was as soon as i got him, he was cut up pretty bad along his back and his tail. as you said he was most likely in a fight.

also i have to get him neutered and get him a checkup so hopefully this will all be worked out by tomorrow.

#4 ·
I fully support the decision to take him to the vet. If he is attacking his tail that fiercely, he is probably trying to attack something causing him pain or annoyance. It may be parasite or a painful infection. Either way, a vet may be able to identify it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.