Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Okay, so I'm looking at my new guy's medical record and see this:

(He was born June 11)

July 26 - Advantage (fleas); Pyrantel for worming
Aug. 12 - Pyrantel for worming
Aug. 15 (3 days later) - Praziquantel for tape worms.
Aug 31 (about two weeks later) - Pyrantel
Aug 31 - Baycox (not sure what that is for)
Sept. 2 - (just two days after the Pyrantel) - Drontal and Advantage

I'm a bit concerned. Is this indication that the deworming isn't working? Or is this a normal protocol? I was under the impression that the medicine kills the worms the first time?

Please help a nervous new cat-daddy. :(

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
The deworming meds kill the live worms but not the eggs...a second dose is needed 2-3 weeks after the first to get the new worms after they've hatched but not yet able to reproduce. And sometimes the meds are not 100% effective so a 3rd dose is often done.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The deworming meds kill the live worms but not the eggs...a second dose is needed 2-3 weeks after the first to get the new worms after they've hatched but not yet able to reproduce. And sometimes the meds are not 100% effective so a 3rd dose is often done.
Doodlebug, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. :)

I cleaned out his poop today and didn't notice any rice-like things on it... (just grateful he pooped! :) ) but I'll keep a watch on it.

Is there a difference between "worming" and "tape worm"? I'm guessing yes... I'm guessing that "worming" is for what is ingested with fleas (or mama's milk?) and "tape worm" is a different parasite altogether?

I guess I'm asking because, based on your description, that would explain the three dosages of pyrantel (July 26, August 12, Aug 31) but it makes me wonder about the Aug 15 Praziquantel and the Sept 2 Drontal.

Maybe I'm just being overly concerned?

Again, I am grateful that you responded....thanks much! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts