Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an amateur herbalist I have some info about cats and catnip.

But...

I've always been under the impression that it was the fragrance that cats liked. My male on the other hand, likes to eat his straight out of the bag. ( I buy it from a Pet Supper Market) So I was wondering if this is normal and if so about how much I should allow him to imbibe, (if you'll forgive the phraseology.)

(Come Last frost here in So. Fl. I plan on planting so as to have fresh homegrown on hand for them both.)

·
Banned
470 Posts
Its normal, and its the plant's oil that is the attractant. The catnip brand I got at least made Wesley seemingly paranoid, fearful, and eventually ended up in a few throw-up sessions (and he didn't even eat it), and Buttercup seemed to have no reaction, so I withhold the stuff now. It is kind of weird to be giving our cats mind-altering narcotics though to be honest, heh.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Nepetalactone is the active ingredient in catnip, that about 50+% cats respond to by rolling arond on the floor like a female in heat. If they eat the catnip it acts as a sedative. I usually give my cats a few leaves to eat every once in a while, and rub the leaves on their scratching posts and toys.
If you have difficulty getting to sleep or want to feel relaxed yourself, you can make catnip tea and be zoned out with your cats. :wink

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I crocheted a 'potholder' shaped square and dump dried catnip onto that. Then i squish it around to break up the leaves and toss it to Mow. He loves rolling on it, tossing it around, and picking out the leaves to eat.

When I first brought Mow home my vet prescribed kitty 'prozac' for him. He couldn't handle any changes in routine at all but I didn't like giving him the meds. It totally changed his personality. I love him active, nosy, and playful. Not drooling and staring at the wall. I was married, I've experianced that already. :)

I used his catnip instead. If there was something going on that I knew would stress him out I would give him a hit of 'nip' about 30-40 minutes before and he'd be good for hours of either playing or sleeping. I still use it if something big is going down like out of town company sleeping over (that requires a move of his litterbox/toys out of the spare bedroom). Once he's over the initial change with the help of his 'nip' he's fine.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kindly

Thanks for the quick response.The nip I am presently giving them is called "Smarty Kat". And it says 100% organic. As I indicated I have some small knowledge of herbs and I know it is the oil that generally attracts them but I didn't know the name of the active ingredient. In the spirit of open honesty, I am hoping that it will calm my young male down a bit.
See, Yesterday I happened across a 4 month old abandoned Jack Russel Terrier on a road I walk to get to my local Supper Market. And my heart strings just went Twang!! So I brought him home.The situatition in which I found him makes it unlikely that h was just lost, so what could I do? I didn't feel that I could just walk away as there are Turkey Vultures, Coon, Possum, and not just a few snakes (some of which I've seen large enough that could have made a lunch of him) in the adjacent fields not to mention the feral dogs in the neighborhood. Miami Fl. is nearly 40 miles north of m and the glades less than 5 miles just to the west.
In the mean time, my two cats aren't sure what to make of the new roomy. It's a bit of a sticky wicket I admit but I am sur it will work it self out....somehow or other???!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts