Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded the a few episodes of Cats 101 and have been watching it the last few weeks over my lunch breaks.

Is it just me, or is this show pretty badly researched? They introduce a breed, and then they tell a story about a cat that's apparently that breed, but most of the time it's a regular domestic moggie that might look sort of like it. (e.g. Featuring the Bombay! Now here's a story about a trucker with a black cat he found on the side of the road.) They also seem to gloss over health problems and I don't think I've seen a breed yet that wasn't considered a "great family pet."

The one episode with the Maine **** featured said you can tell it's a Maine **** by the "M" on its forehead! Uh, excuse me? So suddenly every tabby's a '**** now?

Some of the "breeders" seem a bit sketchy too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Their episode that included the munchkin cat worked my nerves. No offence if anyone owns one but the breeders in that episode got on my nerves. Yes the defect may be naturally occurring , but that isn't a trait that should be bred for. Yet the show made it seem like a great thing and its an awesome looking cat to have. That poor thing had a full sized body on super short legs. What happens if one gets out , how will it protect it self, what happens if they age and lose their mobility.

Sorry rant over now!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
it's not you. it's a "reader's digest" sort of cat show, not meant to be too specific so it will appeal to everyone. i watched it once and was like

some people probably like it, it just didn't interest me much.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
It's entertainment. I like watching it, but I don't take everything it says as gospel. I do think, however, it's pretty good about pointing out health issues and reasons why every cat isn't the right pet for everyone, including which cats might not be great with kids.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
It's entertainment. I like watching it, but I don't take everything it says as gospel. I do think, however, it's pretty good about pointing out health issues and reasons why every cat isn't the right pet for everyone, including which cats might not be great with kids.
I feel the same, too. I feel it's appeal is in the presentation. Some people who may not know about cats in general or a specific breed will then want to find out more by watching the show.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The producer of the show is definitely not very knowledgable, not only to cats, but also to geographices. In the episode of Siamese, when they talk about Siamese being originated from Tailand, they show a picture of acient Chinese, with backgrouds of Tibet and MODERN Beijing. Hellooooo, is there anyone prove-reading? I can understand some westerns can't distinguish Chinese style with Japanese style, but from Chinese to Tailand? They are not even close!

And the info about cats? I only watched about 1/3 of the whole series and there are already a handful of mistakes I can count. So just consider it as an entertaining show, but don't take it serious.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
To everybody saying "It's only entertainment, don't take it serious". That's fine for us who are experienced cat owners.
But there are some people (as mentioned) who watch the show to learn about new breeds...and they DO take everything seriously. Several times people have come to our rescue group to adopt a cat, and they want one particular breed "because I heard such and such about it". We always try to tell them that even though that those features may be typical with a breed, every individual cat can (and will) have it's own little details, quirks and faults... and then of course we try to push them to adopt a mutt cat that either looks like or acts like they wanted in the first place ;)
Some people do end up saying "No thanks, I wanted X kind" and leave. Sigh.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
My only two complaints are that (as Vivid Dawn said) people believe everything they say. PErsonally, something I see on TV or even read on the internet I research thoroughly before BELIEVING it but some people just find it easier to believe everything they hear (otherwise how can you explain people listening to Rush Limbaugh)

My other complaint is breeds. That Bombay and truck driver are the perfect example. It leads people to believe that every black cat they see is a Bombay when it's such a rare breed that chances are MINUTE that you got a real Bombay from the shelter/rescue/street. Or that every colorpoint they find is a Siamese or a ragdoll or whatever. Every long hair big cat is a Maine ****.... The chances are SO slim that you should just buy a lottery ticket.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
The name Cats 101 implies that they are providing basic education about cats. With that in mind, I think they have an obligation to provide accurate information. Of course mistakes happen occasionally, I could understand if it was about more esoteric information, but not something as basic as what the M on a cat's forehead means. They need to do better research...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
For one thing, MOST tabbies have an M on their forehead (though I was looking at a classic tabby the other day, and his was more of a roman numeral 6 LOL). I was also told that there's a legend that tabbies got that, because it was a cat who kept Jesus warm and purred him to sleep, so the M is where Mary patted the cat on the head and left her blessing mark. A'course that's just a legend, but it was meant for ALL tabbies, not just a particular breed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I enjoy it only for the cute kitties but I agree that it needs to be better researched. I only watch it if there's nothing else on and/or if I need a kitty fix, lol.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
OT: I just read that House Hunters is completely fake. I don't watch it, but geez.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
I like it, too!

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
OT: I just read that House Hunters is completely fake. I don't watch it, but geez.
I saw that article too...but I wasn't surprised. A lot of things about the show have never really added up. I'll still watch it though...I like looking at houses. I really enjoy Property Virgins...when you get these people who want the features of a million dolllar house and have $80K to spend.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
A lot of "reality" shows are fake. I researched Operation Repo, because seriously...there shouldn't be THAT much and that kind of drama just for a repo of a car. Yup, it's all scripted and practiced beforehand. Still entertaining to watch everybody flip out, though LOL

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
A lot of "reality" shows are fake. I researched Operation Repo, because seriously...there shouldn't be THAT much and that kind of drama just for a repo of a car. Yup, it's all scripted and practiced beforehand. Still entertaining to watch everybody flip out, though LOL
i know they're fake because i know a very young actress who auditions for a lot of them. they supply them with their entire back-story and everything. but OT: a woman here dragged a tow trucker driver to death when he was trying to tow her car: Colo. woman gets 20 years in dragging death - The Denver Post

that is so insane. getting your car repoed or towed is hardly worth killing someone.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Stupid and misinformed not either/or lol

I do think even if it's entertainment they should get the facts right

Also the term "101" means nothing here

I think my favourite error is the M = Maine ****, especially since my breed has the M

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Which one is House Hunters? There's quite a few house related shows out there... I actually watch them, just to gape at prices, "large" backyards, and remodeling... provided that part isn't fake as well.

As far as Cats: 101 goes, I've never seen it. I may not get it on my cable package. I agree that propagating misconceptions about animals is not a good thing and it greatly annoys me, but there's misconceptions everywhere you turn, to get fact you need to do your own research. Look at the History Channel and their Ancient Aliens show... I mean... seriously? They seem to think so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts