Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Long story short its been a rough 6 weeks for me and my pets. I was admitted to a hospital on 7/27 and released on 8/12. During this time, Ninja was fostered by my dear friend and co-worker because my mom could not handle him. Sully and Thurston stayed with Mom. On 8/14, I had to put my dog Moxie to sleep. On 8/27 I was able to bring Sully home to my new pseudo temporary home which is a rented room in a house with 2 small children. Yesterday, Ninja came home from kitty camp.
Basically, I'm worried about all three of them. They seem depressed. I know this has been very hard on them, cats HATE change and they have been through major upheaval. Just looking for ways to make this transition easier on them.

I brought the unwashed blankets and beds from the old house as well as my purrfect post and some cat toys. Once I have use of a truck, we will have a cat tree as well. They have access to a window. My room is a no-kid zone, but its still very loud in the house much of the day. (Kids are 4 years and 1 year)

They are both eating well, but neither is acting himself. Ninja is sleeping all the time and hiding. I even checked his temp last night I was so worried. He is coming out and sleeping on the couch and cat bed today so a slight improvement. Sully is permanently attached to me and is actually bullying Ninja, not letting him on the bed with me at night.

They are allowed access to the rest of the house when I am home, but I haven't let them yet because I'm afraid it would be too overwhelming, plus neither of them seem interested in leaving my room yet.

I'm thinking about getting a Feliway diffuser and a white noise machine for during the day. Anyone used the diffusers? Do they work? Any other suggestions. My illness has been so hard on all of us, I just want to make my kiddos as comfortable and relaxed as possible. Open to any and all suggestions.

Thurston has remained with my Mother per her request. He is also showing signs of stress. So worried about these guys. I hate that they are going through this.

·
Super Moderator
26,669 Posts
I'm so sorry you're all going through this, Rachael.

I had no success with Feliway, but there are people who swear by it.

I know you're in small quarters now, but do you think bringing Thurston back into the mix would help at all (if your Mom would agree to it)?

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
This has been an awful upheaval for all of you. I can't imagine how stressful it has been so it is not surprising that Sully and Ninja are showing signs of stress. Hopefully they will begin to relax soon.

I am so, so sorry that you lost your Moxie. I am sure that the cats are also grieving about that also.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Wow...what an awful time you've had. Hopefully you're on the road to better things.

I thought that Feliway helped when I introduced Holly into the house. I definitely notice a difference in behavior when it ran dry. Probably used them for 4 months. I stopped using it when it ran dry and I didn't notice any change. It definitely took the edge off.

I also used it when I introduced Jake, again it seemed to help...but it was a pretty easy intro. I used the diffuser for 2 months. I also used the spray around his crate...figured if they approached him it would help keep them chilled.

I'm also a fan of Pet Naturals of Vermont Calming treats. I use them when Kobi turns into a werewolf every full moon. I need to use 2-3 to get results, but I definitely see a difference. Feliway doesn't seem to help this behavior.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm sorry about Moxie :( I lost my dog in April and still get teary sometimes. I'm also sorry about your hospital stay and all of the general stress! I haven't personally used a Feliway but I hear good things... I don't really have any ideas for you, but I think things will get better, one day at a time.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Healthy, but stressed cats apparently get what's called sickness behaviour. Time and a stable environment helps. Often people will take their cats to the vet when this happens, but the vet gives them a clear bill.

I have a link to an article that I want to post and discuss sometime, but at the moment I'm too tired. I suggest not bothering them too much and letting them readjust around you, their main securty anchor.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My sympathy over Moxie's passing. I just watched a bit of her video (but I couldn't get the sound to turn down.) She certainly did enjoy life.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
What a rough time for you recently! I am sorry for the passing of Moxie and for your recent ordeal. Not fun :(.

It's possible they are also worried about you! I would bet it would help them if you specifically spent time letting each of them know where you were and how you are doing now (via your thoughts and mental pictures). Cats are exquisitely sensitive and tuned into the people they love... :patback

Fran

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It's possible they are also worried about you! I would bet it would help them if you specifically spent time letting each of them know where you were and how you are doing now (via your thoughts and mental pictures). Cats are exquisitely sensitive and tuned into the people they love... :patback

Fran
This could help, but rather than try to send thoughts and pictures, tell them how you feel. Doing this may well generate the required thoughts and pictures.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I love..love...love(in an choir song voice).. my Feliway. I know as soon as it runs out 'cause Senor Poopy Pants (MowMow) gets all pissy and grumpy with Book *AND* I.

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time right now :( If there's any way I can help (short of taking Ninja, I have one of my own I can barely deal with)... let me know!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Rach i'm so sorry you are having a very hard time and with your losses. I've been there. It's very stressful. I tried Feliaway on Jock a border collie with no results. The vet tech said it didn't work because border collies are higher strung. I know a white diffuser and a fan works for me to go to sleep. Maybe try some soothing music. I loved the video about Moxie. She was a very special dog. Some extra love, hugging, and play time might help

Kathy

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I tried Feliaway on Jock a border collie with no results. The vet tech said it didn't work because border collies are higher strung.
If you actually used Feliway (and not DAP) then it didn't work because Feliway is specifically for cats only. The DAP product is for dogs.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A happy update for one. First I was readmitted to the hospital on 9/6 and just got out today. prior to going in I did set up a feliway diffuser in my room, and I think it saved Sully's life.
Ninja is my happy go lucky guy and he just carried on as usual in my absence but Sully is such a momma's boy and he is afraid of everyone but me. The family i am living with cared for the cats while I was in, but couldnt be sure Sully was eating because he wouldn't come out. But after a couple days, he was coming out and staying out when my friend would come in to feed them and she could watch him eating. This is something he has never ever ever done before in his life. I'm going to claim a feliway miracle. He looks like he hasn't lost any weight and seems to feel great. They are both cuddled on my lap right now, very happy Mommy is home.

Ninja has pretty well made this house his castle. He and the 4 year old boy are best friends who love to run and play together. He has also been caught playing "bat the ball back and forth" with the 1 year old girl. I was disapointed that didn't make it on video. My ninja just steals hearts wherever he goes. The family has 2 outdoor dogs that Ninja enjoys taunting from the windows. In short, he hasn't missed a beat.

I got to spend time with Thurston today too. He was glued to my lap for about an hour but otherwise seemed fine and in good spirits. No Feliway at that house.

But yeah, I'm going to be a feliway supporter from now on.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don’t have any answers for you Rachael, but just want to say that I feel your pain and I’m very sorry to hear about your ordeal right now. I’m glad to hear something is working out for you and I hope things get better real soon.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
A huge bump in the road for all of you, but it sounds like things are working out better for you. Feliaway for all, I say!

I wonder if they would work in my house....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts