Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Having a cat, I decided to adopt some fishes as well. My tank is still in cycling. Anyone has cats and aquarium? I'm just wondering how your cats behave around the tank. Any crazy jumps into the water?
cheers

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I have both cats and fish. My cats are pretty good with the aquarium, although I never leave them unsupervised in the room when I have the tank lid off (when doing water changes). When the lid is off they will sometime hop up and peer into the tank, with me keeping a close eye on them, but they've never tried to "catch" a fish or jump into the water. Good luck with your cycling.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My cats seem oddly uninterested in my aquarium. Apollo is more interested in the fish food to be honest. He always comes running when I'm feeding the fish. He must like how it smells!

Athena sometimes sits and watches the fish, but I'm not sure she really understands what they are or that there's any way for her to touch them. Also the way my tank is set up, it'd be impossible for them to get the lid off, so I'm not worried.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My cats completely ignore the tank. They just aren't interested at all. Plus it's water- a cat's number one enemy!

They do like the fish food though, once Evie stuck her whole head in the pot and got a face covered in flakes! But they only come running as they know after fish feeding is 'night night treats' time.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
All of my cats enjoy watching the tank from time to time, but no one loves it as much as Cindy Lou does. She antagonizes the fish, swatting the glass and stalking them. Once, my sister's cat jumped into the tank when he didn't realize the lid was off. What a wet mess! He got water all over the place in his panic, and hair in my tank! Naughty boy learned his lesson though!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Cassie would usually just watch for a little and then just try and eat the fish food. Probably because it has fish in it.

Cherry on the other hand is very nosy. I have two tanks in my room. One had fish and when it was empty she would stand up and look in and once we got water in it, she'd drink from it. Then when we got fish, I put a chair beside it and she'd sit and watch(and chase their shadows on the wall).

My other tank had frogs. She liked to sleep on top of the tank and watch the frogs.

But I haven't had any trouble since my fish and frogs died...just the occasional peek in the tank.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Nebbie: ignores the tank
Paizly: ignores the tank (then again, with no back legs, she can't get up to it even if she wanted to)
Xanthe: I don't remember if it was her (probably not, as she hasn't bothered my tank), but maybe the cat before her... used to get up on top of my husband's tank and drink the water (he left one side of the lid off all the time, with only ONE light over the tank - he also always gets torties that look the same, so I never remember which stuff Kiddo did, and which stuff Xanthe did!)

Disco: This is a feral kitten (5 months old) that I had inside for a month while she and her sister recovered from URI and spaying. She LOVED watching the fish!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I just got today 4 gourami. After like 6 hours Bryan didn't notice it yet.

I love gouramis! I have 2 dwarf gouramis myself. I wish I could have more varieties, but as I have a community tank with smaller fish like guppies, only the dwarf gouramis are compatible. Someday I'd love to have a second "semi-aggressive" tank of regular gouramis and other compatible fish. :)

Also how in the world did you get such good photos? Every time I try to take photos of my fish, they move too fast and come out blurry.

Wow, how many gallons is the big tank? It looks lovely! And what do you have in the smaller one? Looks like some kind of amphibian land/water terrarium setup?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Or wait, looking at the photo again, is that smaller one a breeding tank? I've actually been considering setting up a small breeding tank to breed dwarf gouramis. My guppies breed easily in my large tank, but I've read gouramis require a more solitary setup for breeding.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 29g with 2 goldfish in it but Sparrow could care less. Salem used to like to sit and watch and sometimes paw at the tank when I first got him but here recently he has lost interest in them as well.

Before I moved out of my parents house we used to have a 55g tank with a huge oscar fish in there. We had the top off in the middle of doing a weekly water change for the fish. One of our cats Chyna took that moment to jump on top of the tank. I don't think she realised that the top of the tank was off and thought she was going to land on the top which she had done in the past. She fell right in to the tank and actually started swimming. My mom and I grabbed her as quick as we could out of the water but not before our oscar fish popped the end of her tail found out that it wasn't food and let go. Thank God oscars don't have teeth lol! Chyna never made another attempt to jump on top of that tank again lol! :lol:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
@Bryan: The Gourami's are adorable. Just remember it takes about 6 weeks for tanks to fully cycle. :) What size tank is it? I see in your live video you added more fish too.

I hear that goldfish could live 20+ years if well taken care of..

Now..Misa loves looking at the 10 gallon but not so much with the two gallon. A few times she's jump on top of the 10 gallon and the Platies didn't do anything.. Noa was like whatever.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used to keep a betta in a 5 gallon, but after Jasio scared 2 to death and ate the third (how he got the tank open I'll never know), I've given up.

Had a 29 gallon tank before I got Jasio, Xerxes and Callista would watch the fish and drink from the basket filter but never went further than that.

Good luck with your gouramis, they are very pretty.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts