Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had cats for years now but unfortunately when I seperated from my ex, she took our boys with her. Anyway I am now considering getting another cat, an indoor one (as I live in a city centre) however my question is - I have a balcony, is this too risky or would a cat not look to jump up on to the balcony? I know I could keep the balcony doors closed but I don't want to take the risk if it's considered too risky...

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
how high is the balcony and what is the railing like?

if its too low, the cat may be tempted to jump. It may make it safely to the ground, but will then be at the risk of the city below. If its too high, the kitty may be injured or even killed from the fall.

That being said - I have a deck that's about 8-10 feed off the backyard. I have the stairs baby gated and my cat practically LIVES out there now that its warm (and even when its freakin HOT!). She watches the birds and squirrels and so far hasn't figured out that she can jump on the railing. As soon as she does, I know she'll hop over the gate and be gone. I do walk her around the yard in a harness so she's used to being down there and my hope is that if she jumped she wouldn't go too far too soon but just be content to sniff around a bit.

There are also some who have used a netting (I believe deer netting?) to line the balcony so kitty can't get through. It makes it a sort of screened in enclosure without doing any actual "screening in" construction.

There are plenty of ideas you can do. I really think the kitties enjoy the view, sights, sounds and smells. If it can be done safely, do it!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts