Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since there's a cat and aquarium thread, that reminded me of my other problem....cats and birds.

We have a pair of finches that we keep behind closed doors. I feel sorry for them but we can't open it because Miu will jump on top of the cage and scare the bejezuz out of them. She literally curls her toes and hangs on so when you remove her, you have to pry her toes off. I've tried to allow her to sit on a chair so she can watch as a compromise. I've also tried giving her the 'No" command. She understands the 'No' command but she'll usually ignore me when it comes to the birds. I've seen others are able to have the cats and birds co-exist in peace. Is there a way to get that to happen for me?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll be interested to hear what others say. I have an older cat who never bothered any of the birds we've had in the past (canary and conure...of course, the conure would've taken a chunk out of any cat part that entered its cage ;) ). She'd look, but never offered to touch them.

However, we've got a new cat now who's an entirely different beast. And we've got a couple of new birds on the way (my in-laws are giving us their canary and dove). I'm home most of the day, so I can be sure Little Bee doesn't terrorize them. But at night, I'm planning to lock the cats in the laundry room with their litter boxes and food. I feel a little guilty about it...but the cage that comes with the birds is massive, and won't fit in any of our rooms that can be shut. I've been making the cats "practice" their new sleeping arrangement for a couple of weeks now...it's amazing how their circadian rhythm has adjusted. Both (like most cats) were most active at night before. These days, they're awake and active most of the day, and I don't hear much noise from them once they're up for the night...despite the dozen toys that are in there with them.

When the birds arrive, I'm going to try a spray bottle of water. If b gets too pushy with the birds, I'm going give her a shower. If that doesn't discourage her, I'm going to need suggestions, too! :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had a cockatiel a hundred years ago named Bogie. He would wake us up in the morning calling 'here kitty kitty!' None of the cats I had at the time ever bothered him. He used to walk around on the floor, not unsupervised, of course. They were curious about him but never attempted to attack him.

I've had finches in the past also. I hung the cage from a hook in the ceiling so the cats couldn't reach them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Growing up I had several different types of birds and we had a spare room that we ended up turning into my pet room lol. I kept all of my caged animals in there and we kept the door shut and made sure no cats were left in there. Then in the daytime we would only let the cats in there if someone was hanging around in there to supervise. More recently I had finches in a smaller cage and my hubby and I did what Tigress did and did the hanging the cage from a hook in the ceiling trick.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Seeing how my two interact with Da Bird, I would never let them close to a real bird. Though if I had to I would hook them to the ceiling like others have said.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
When I was a teenager, we had a cat (Tiffy) and a bird. Even though Tiffy was an outdoor cat and would chase birds outside, whenever she was inside, she didn't bother with our bird. Indeed, the bird would fly around and occasionally land on Tiffy's head! Perhaps it was because we adopted Tiffy as a kitten and she "grew up" with the bird.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, some of your stories are cool! Well, Miu is pretty rambunctious. I can only open the door when I'm in there. If left unsupervised, I'm sure the birds would have a heart attack. For some reason, she's okay with my chinchilla though. She'd sit and stare for a bit, but for the most part he leaves him alone.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I feed the pigeons and birds sometimes while I feed the stray cats downstairs, that way my strays have a "dinner with show". With Prince and my strays' hunting skills, though, I'm not the tiniest bit worried for the birds. Not even the birds are worried. I'm glad my colony and Prince don't have to live from their hunting skills. They're 100% inept.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts