Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new home has ceiling fans in both the master bedroom and the kitchen. Badness is terrified of them! I will need to use them soon because it is getting hot here in the SW. As soon as the fan comes on, Badness shoots out of the room like something is after her.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get Badness used to the ceiling fan?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I thought Pfeffa was the only one! She is absolutely terrified of our ceiling fan and I have no idea why - just something big overhead, moving - I guess that's enough to send her running.

You could try easing closer to it every night during a play session - favorite toys and treats could soothe her fright when she spots the evil spinning thing. That kind of positive reinforcement could help. I have to admit, I was never able to get Pfeffa over her fears...mostly we suffer without the ceiling fan, but occasionally we break down and turn it on, and just know she won't be around until after it gets turned off.

One funny thing is that she LOVES the box fan when we have that on - rubs and rubs it and stands real close so the breeze blows her fur.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Cats will be cats. Scrappy, my other cat, could careless if the fan is going. Badness is just like you Pfeffa too. She doesn't mind an oscillating fan at all. Doesn't mind one bit.

CATS! :wink:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yep..cats and ceiling fans, and vacum cleaners and any moving, whirring thing..I don't know why exactly_I believe that part is that they are so sensitive to noise and air moving (better for detecting prey..)_ I've had cats (born at a house 'used' to noise since kittenhood) that would run away at any moving machine, had a feral that didn't bat a whisker..I think it depends on the cat :?: <<))

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Maybe just time will do it? Once they figure out that the fan stays where it is, they may get more comfortable with it. Luckily all mine were fascinated with our ceiling fan, they were plotting how to get up there for a closer look! :lol:

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I think they will get used to it. We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom which is basically on all the time and Velvet spends three-fourths of her life in there. She didn't care for it at first, but quickly got used to it. She doesn't like it on high, but then neither do I.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is still hiding from them. She is so funny. She comes into the hallway slowly and peeks around the corner to check if the fan is going. If it is, she high-tails it out there!

Scrappy is leary but is getting braver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts