Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peanut seems to have some depth perception issues sometimes. We have this string that hangs from the ceiling and Peanut seems to think he can catch it, even though it's several feet from his grasp. He stands on his hind legs and starts grabbing at the air.

Is this a cat thing that's normal, or just Peanut being silly? Or could he possibly have some eyesight issues?

·
Registered
248 Posts
rocky, my siamese, has eye site problems...he will stand on his legs, and seem to be reaching with his front paws, when he is still 6 inches away. then he will move closer and finally decide to jump on it....sort of sad, because i don,t think he can see my black female cat very good, and i had to put a bell on her so he could hear her...otherwise she would have a big advantage in their daily rough housing.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Is Peanut cross eyed? If so, he would have problem with depth perception.

Is this a cat thing that's normal, or just Peanut being silly?
It's not normal for sure. I had 6 cats in my life, and they are all very good with estimating distance. Is Peanut being silly? Well, depends... Did he seem to enjoy "catching the air", or he looked frustrated that he cannot catch the string?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is Peanut cross eyed? If so, he would have problem with depth perception.

It's not normal for sure. I had 6 cats in my life, and they are all very good with estimating distance. Is Peanut being silly? Well, depends... Did he seem to enjoy "catching the air", or he looked frustrated that he cannot catch the string?
He's not cross-eyed and can track things well. It might be shadows that get him a bit confused perhaps? It's an odd, yet silly thing we've been noticing with him.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I think that cats are more adept at seeing motion than still things, maybe that is part of it. Gracie's face is more like a Persian's - flatter face and shorter muzzle, and we've noticed she's not great at tracking close things unless they are moving. You can tell she has to switch back and forth between sense of smell and sense of sight. Still, she gets the spiders and moths when she wants to, so it must work for her!

Fran

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Cats actually have a blind spot in front of their faces. That's why, even though something is directly in front of them, they don't see it. Think about it. Haven't you ever noticed that before a cat eats and/or plays, he/she will sniff at whatever it is directly in front of them before they react to it? My cats do this all the time and they have perfect vision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts