Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one, I've just joined this forum. I have a wonderfull cat called Sebastian (Sabby for short). The problem is that Sabby is a scardy cat, big time. He runs away from visitors to our home and sometime away from us! I'm not sure on his breed because he was given to us by a friend of the family. He looks like the Bacardi Breezer cat, He might be an American Short hair judging by pictures of that breed but our vet has him as a Tabby. He is 5 and a 1/2 years old. The good side to him being scared is he wont go out the front door because all the cars scare him! We feed him whiskas (sp) wet food and the biscuits at night (he gets sick if he eats the biscuits during the day for some reason).

Our problem is that we now have a Japanese Akita pup. Sabby spends most of his time upstairs now. He used to sleep on our sofa in the living room alot. He only comes down to meow for food then either goes straight up or out. He wont spend any other time downstairs any more because of the dog. They have sniffed each other but Sabby doesnt do it unless we hold the pup in our arms, which is getting really hard to do so now! Sabby gets terrified if we pick him up and take him to the dog. He won't let us take him into the back room any more as that is where the conservatory entrance is. We've put them in the same room together to get used to each other as per advice from other websites but Sabby runs and the dog chases.He hides behind the tv and every time the dog approaches he gets very scared. He has only tried hitting the dog a couple of times. We have tried putting him in his crate so sabby can feel safe and to allow the dog to sniff him whilst he is in there. He didnt like being confined and kept on meowing.
He used to sit on the window sill in the conservatory but doesnt any more because thats where the dog lives for the time being. the dog loses interest in Sabby quite quick and gets on with chewing or eating. The have both laid down on the same bed but Sabby didnt take his eyes off him and took the next opportunity to dart out of the room. The dog eventually will need to have run of the house as we got him to protect the house! (he's not being traind as a guard/protection dog it his instinct to do so) We need for them to get along. Can any one help/have any advice.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have any advice on how to help them get along, but someone else might. I just wanted to say...

Wow! Another Sabby! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Sabby is a cool name.

Really need help on the question I hope some one can help.

G

·
0 Posts
How long have you had the pup?

It has been my experience that the cat will come around eventually. My parents had a pup and my cat always avoided him since puppies play too rough for her.

She now lives with a 3 year old Rottweiler and they do fine together. It just takes the cats time to get used to this new thing in thier territory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had the pup for 6 weeks, but due to the history of our cat being scared of everything, we wanna do wat we can to help, i feel the cat will never (at this rate) get used to the dog. there must b something we can do to help. soz for the grammer but in a rush at work.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would give them more time. 6 weeks is a short time to get along...
Did you introduce them slowly, gradually? Maybe you pushed too much and Sabby is more scared now. I would start from the beginning again - separate them in different rooms and introduce them gradually.

Try this article:

http://www.catsociety.org/catintroduction.htm

It's more about introducing cat to cat but at the end they talk about dogs too.

This is all just theory. I don't have any personal experience. :( sorry!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Maybe feliway? I've heard that helps with other situations cats find stressful. Is that available in London? The only other thing I can think of is to make every venture downstairs a pleasant one. Lots of attention and petting and a little playing whenever he comes down for food.

My family had a dog when I got Sabby. She was a 10-year-old cocker spaniel named Leah and she was great with kittens. She always acted as though they were her own babies. As far as we knew, Sabby never really liked her. Until one day we found him all snuggled up against her sound asleep. My grandma took a polaroid of it. It woke Sabby out of his sleep. He saw Leah, smacked her and ran away. To this day cocker spaniels are the only other animal Sabby will tolerate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thing is Sabby doesn't like us petting him! He is very strange like that. He doesnt come to us when we call or when we come home. The only time he demands our attention is when he wants some food. We've tried treats but he doesnt want them. Thinking about it the only time we are "allowed" to pet him is when he is lying down sleeping!!

I tried introducing them slowly by holding sabby in my arms and letting Kuma (the dog) sniff his tail. Then progressed to bringing Kuma up to Sabby when he was on one of our beds. I always kept kuma in my arms. Then I put them in the same room and Sabby did not like it! Sabby seemed alright on the bed, he will run off if he feels Kuma is too close.
I had them both n the same room today for about 10 mins. Sabby seemed a lot calmer at first and didnt even run off straight away, the door was shut though. He watched Kuma a bit then sat on the sofa. Kuma wanted to have a sniff and thats when Sabby started getting scared and hitting him Sabby then sat by the door and then started shaking. So I took him upstairs and calmed him down. It seems he is getting better. He even watched the dog last night whilst both of them were in the garden. He'd usually run off. I suppose it'll take time but Kuma is growing fast and already knows how to open the baby gate! (Yes he is that smart!) I can't keep him confined for too long because it would be cruel.

I wanna speed things up a bit.

I dont know what Feliway is, sorry. Can you tell me please?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts