Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... ok, thought that headline might raise an eyebrow. :D

As most of you already have experienced, cats love food, and not only their own food but also our food (humans that is).

When hubby was making dinner tonight Sam and Suzy was of course in the kitchen checking things out. Hoping that the meal prepared was for them and not for us. I think they (read Sam) was checking out the cooking a bit more closely than one might want, cuz when I had my dinner I found a WHISKER in my food. :D :D :D

For dessert we had a popsicle and Sam of course wanted to beg some food... but he backed off pretty quickly when he felt the cold of the popsicle. It was so fun, he so much wanted to taste it, since we were enjoying our dessert, but each time he got close he backed away. Poor kitty, I guess we have to eat more warm apple pie so he can dig his nose in it.

Earlier this week we had strawberries and cream, Sam loved the strawberries but didn't like the cream. Suzy on the other hand loved the cream, but didn't like the strawberriers. So they worked out a system, Suzy licked of the cream and Sam gulped down the strawberries.

So, how often do you find cat hairs in your food? And how often do you get to keep your food to yourself, i.e. what does your cat NOT like that you like to eat?

Oh, and has anyone timed how fast it takes for your cat/s to join you in the kitchen when you open the fridge or a cupboard door (even if it's to take out a glass for your drink)? I think the record in this household is 2 seconds and during those two seconds you hear a meeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooow all the way from where they were into the kitchen. Then they jump up on something and you feel a paw on your arm or your back, depending on where you stand and more meows. :D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
No kidding... I can't eat anything without Tierney being right next to me. He beggs for everything. I usually let him taste anything, but i hardly ever give him more than a bite. Although watch out when your back in turned.. i lost 1/2 a bean burrito tonight cause i had to change laundry! They are silly! I have never gotten cat hair or wisker in my food though. He usually doesn't stay in the kitchen when i am cooking unless he gets something.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
No kidding... I can't eat anything without Tierney being right next to me. He beggs for everything. I usually let him taste anything, but i hardly ever give him more than a bite. Although watch out when your back in turned.. i lost 1/2 a bean burrito tonight cause i had to change laundry! They are silly! I have never gotten cat hair or wisker in my food though. He usually doesn't stay in the kitchen when i am cooking unless he gets something.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I don't think ANY of my food is hairless :lol: The culprit is Gaylord. He thinks that our food is HIS food, and will yell at us until we give in!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had dogs, and I've been really good at not giving the dogs food at the table. But those kittens, they look soo cute and they are so curious and they are sooooooooooo hungry (yeah right!) so I just can't NOT let them taste some. Unless they taste it and find out it's not something they like they won't leave us alone!

So my intention to not give in on begging cats was futile. I'm such a sucker! :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
My cat loves to beg! He also loves to slap at my fork or plate if I let him get close enough. Sometimes he just needs to sniff or lick my food before he is content and goes about his buisness. Other times he feels it's my right and privilage to be feeding him his meal... like when I pull out a tuna can or something of that sort - he goes wild!

"Meow! Meow! That's mine! Meow! Hey why are you putting mayo on it! Oh well... that's good too... add some relish... meow... ok... give meeeee!" And he just gets so upset if I don't give him anything... I just can't help but leave some Tuna and let him lick the bottom of the can. He's a spoiled brat... but I have to endulge him sometimes. But sometimes he takes a bite out of my sandwich while I'm holding it... *sigh* there goes my dinner...

·
Registered
51 Posts
aphrodite does that sometimes. since i eat on the coffee table, i'll just set the food on the coffee table and i sit on the floor. perfect way for aphro do stand up on my lap to poke her head towards my plate. i'll let her sniff for a lil and if she gets too close, i'll quickly blow some air into her ear and she'll back off for a second and resume. :lol:

once i made some curry beef and she's interested. so i let her sniff again and quick as a cat, she stole a piece of beef and ran off!!! i'm surprised that she didn't have to drink much water after that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Tyra & Tyson still sniff around, but I think they know better than to stick their nose and steal our food... when we first got them, and they were nosy, we'd just be sure to have the Tobasco sauce nearby, and just sprinkle it on the piece they'd be going for... that took care of it real quickly. Now the only things they really sniff at are fish, cheese, and raw veggies :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Stephen has never been allowed human food (except for a very very occassional bit of eggs or cheese -- and I mean about 2x a year).

So she doesn't pay any attention to the fridge or cabinets opening.

But, man oh man, you will find cat hair everywhere! The worst is pulling out a skillet to cook and finding a stray hair in it! :roll:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Kitty pays no attention to what goes on in the kitchen but if I sit down with an ice cream bar or cereal...she'll get up from where she's sleeping and come sit down next to me. She doesn't try to get the food...she just waits and when I'm almost done with my ice cream bar I let her lick off the last little bit, or drink a little milk from my spoon. She's VERY good about not begging.

Thomas, who was horrible for a while, is finally learning to wait until food is offered. Like when I open their Nutro Pouched. I dump one into one bowl and the other into another bowl and he sits on the counter next to the bowls and watches. I let him lick the packets, but he's stopped trying to eat the food. Then I put the bowl on the floor and he's all over it.

The dishes that come out of the dishwasher have cat hair on them. It's inevitable, there is cat hair in everything. But hey, that's what it's like to have a cat!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Apparently I have an angel of a cat.

He doesn't beg, he doesn't like human food, and he doesn't seem to care what I am doing in the kitchen :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts