Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for a solution where the kittens can get in and out to a room but the mature cats can not.
baby gates are no good as their bars are too narrow plus we can’t flex it as kittens get bigger.
any ideas?
mary

·
Registered
831 Posts
A baby gate usually doesn't keep adult cats out, because they just jump over it.
but...if a baby gate or similar thing will work to keep your adult cats out

(and if so, please tell me how you did that, because I could use that information!),

then you could put it up off the floor, with only enough room for the kittens to squeeze under it, maybe?

Or, fix the door in such a way, using a tie on the door handle and a hook on the outside/inside of the door to attach it to so it won't open any further than just wide enough for the kittens to get in but not for the adults? I have used this to allow one cat, slim, to get in and out while keeping the other cat, fat, out of the room. Ditto to keep out a dog.

·
Registered
490 Posts
We are looking for a solution where the kittens can get in and out to a room but the mature cats can not.
baby gates are no good as their bars are too narrow plus we can’t flex it as kittens get bigger.
any ideas?
mary
I installed large pet doors in several doors in my house (apprx 10 x 15 inches). They come with a plastic piece to block the flap when I need to keep the cats enclosed in a room. For introductions, I raised the block a little bit at a time so the cats could gradually smell and see each other, and duct-taped the sides of the block to the door to keep it in place.

If you decide to try one, you could raise the block up a few inches, and tape some heavy cardboard or something firm on the sides of the block to make an opening big enough for the kittens but stop the adult cats from getting through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts