Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the excitement of getting my very first kitty I have completely forgotten about a rabbit I take care of during the winter time. My cousin has a rabbit that lives in a very nice outdoor cage in the summer, but as the winter months come he and the rabbit move. He goes to another part of the country from November to early march. While he's away his rabbit comes and stays with me. I have a large indoor cage set up in my house all winter. My cousin feels its too cold to have a rabbit be outside all year round.

So I will be getting the rabbit in November, but with a new kitty I'm worried that this will cause problems. The rabbit has been coming to me for three years now and it's pretty set in stone. I was wondering how cats and Rabbits get on. Rocco has the run of the house right now but how would he feel if there is suddenly a big cage in his place. My cousin said his friends cat has been around the rabbit and the cat got scared. I don't want Rocco to get scared. So is it possible for them both to live in the same house for a few months?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I have a friend who has 2 cats and a rabbit (and previously 2 cats and 3 rabbits), and she said they get along just fine. She has even seen one of the cats reaching into the rabbit's cage and petting it! It wasn't taking a swing at it; it was actually petting it. I told her we need this on videotape.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I found a stray black rabbit in my driveway in the dead of winter and brought him into the house. I named him Hasbro. He had a pen in a spare room. I had a bunch of house cats at the time, five I think. They were curious about him. At night I would sit on the couch with Hasbro in my arms and the cats would sit around us. So they weren't aggressive towards him, but I would never have left them unsupervised. My cats do catch and eat bunnies outdoors, unfortunately.
So short answer - I think your situation is workable.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I lived w/ cats and free-running house rabbits for many years. No problems. Sounds like this poor bunny never gets out of the cage though? Obviously there would be zero risk there.

If he DOES get some free-running time, obviously keep an eye on things and a spray bottle handy. The only real problem comes from young cats who want to play w/ the rabbit. Most domestic rabbits can take on (and actually injure or kill!) cats, but cats playing can cause abscesses, etc. So discourage any play behavior.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the rabbit is secured in a cat-proof pen there shouldn't be a problem.

But cats can be unpredictable, I certainly wouldn't have the rabbit outside the pen without constant supervision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 3 cats and 2 rabbits. 2 of my cats (~ 3 years old) are totally fine with the rabbits and just like to watch them from a couple feet away. My kitten (~8 months) is a little more forward and tries to play with them which can become a problem if she plays too rough at times. The good thing is that both my rabbits are not afraid of the cats so they'll run right up to the cats and try to be the boss/claim their territory. If the rabbits were afraid and tried to run from the cats, it might encourage the cats instinct to chase them. However, I think most rabbits are usually pretty forward - one of mine has chased the cats out of their area several times. One thing I would suggest is making sure the rabbit has had time to explore the area they will be staying before introducing it to the cat. This way they are more comfortable and will be more likely to exert their "dominate" behavior. I would also suggest to supervise them at all times they are out together just in case and to keep them separate when you are not around.

Attached is the only picture I have of all 5 of them (not the best quality) but you can see that the rabbits could care less about the cats and the cats are a little more timid about them.
Picture3.JPG

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Yes, like Lisa I never had any trouble and generally rabbits are quite pushy.

One caveat: All my house rabbits were spayed/neutered, as all rabbits should be. If this rabbit in intact, that could cause problems. Rabbits are extremely hormonal and that can cause aggression. They may also try to mount the cats, which is generally not appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had no idea that rabbits and cats could get alone so well. The rabbit has an open cage where he can come and go as he pleases. I think it might have to be a closed cage for a while until I can be sure the cat or rabbit won't freak out. Then it will be supervised from then on. Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Well, find out for sure if he's been neutered. I would NOT allow an unaltered rabbit to run free w/ cats--things are almost sure to go bad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, find out for sure if he's been neutered. I would NOT allow an unaltered rabbit to run free w/ cats--things are almost sure to go bad.
Yes the rabbit has been neutered. My main concern is the cat. The rabbit has been around other animals. My cousin has dogs so the rabbit wouldn't be a problem. It was my cats reaction I was more worried about. I guess It'll all come down to seeing them together. If it goes bad I would have to make other arrangements for the rabbit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts