Cat Forum banner

Cats and roads

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Sol 
#1 ·
Six years ago one of my cats got run over outside my house. I live in a reasonably quiet through road. The other two cats i've had for the last six years are fine, rarely go out of the garden, but do occassionally cross the road. I do not let them out unless I'm home either.

I'm looking for a new house at the moment and my choice depends on their safety. I've been advised if I move to a very quiet road my cats might become complacent and become lazy when crossing roads as they will not be used to traffic.

Other friends insist their cats long term survival an the roads is down to them living near a busy road, and it keeps them on their toes / away from the roads due to fright.

Whats the general opinion from you guys?

Quiet, Busy or inbetween:?: :?:

Below are the baies in question..........................

See less See more
#3 ·
I second Bengalsownme's vote for keeping your cats indoors--if you want to keep them. You can make a very interesting "habitat" for them in your house since you are looking to buy another house anyway.

BTW--cute orange tabbys!

#4 ·
I keep my boys indoors. The area I live in is pretty well industrial and there is a lot of oil & chemicals around here. They stay healthy and happy without costing a fortune in "repairs" from fighting other males etc...it does make me feel guilty because they are afraid of the outdoors now.

#5 ·
If you want to have your cats outdoors, buy a house far away from roads! It doesn´t matter how little traffic there is on the road, there´s always a chance your cat will be hit by a car. I used to live out in the woods far away from big roads but my cat managed to get hit by a car anyway.

If you want to keep your cats safe from traffic I recomend you keep them inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.