Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occored to me while reading this forum that many of you have some great names for your cats. I on the other hand have never really given my female cat a name. She adopted me back in the summer of 93 and I have always just referred to her has Momma.

I have given all my other cats names, but no name for momma. I just have not found a name that fits here. Am I wacked? I mean she deserves a good name, but I simply have not found one that "fits" her.

Now for my two males, one is mid night, no brainer he is all black with yellow eyes, and the other is Giligan. (Orange Tabby with green eyes.)

Giligan is a real charmer. He loves to flirt with the girls, while Midnight just likes to be left alone and do his money walk. (He looks like a monkey when he walks because he curles his tail and sorta hops sideways.)

Momma just likes to growl at the boys (*she is not there mother) and get lovies from people who will pet or scartch her head. She does not like kids.

My twin nephews one day came over, they are about seven now, and they were sitting on the end of the bed looking at her. They both know that she does not like kids and have been warned not to get to close. They were sitting there while I was looking for a book to read to them when one of them ventured past the HISS line and was severly warned by her to stay away.

All I heard was HISSSSSSSSSSSS, and the sound of feet running down the hall. I mean they split the scene so fast that they left an empty vacuum of air in the shape of their bodies where they where sitting. I laughed so hard I nearly passed out. They were gone in an instant, as if they simply vanished. She sat there and looked at me with what I could have sworn was a smile of utter satisfactio on her face. It was so **** funny that I still laugh about to this day.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sounds like Momma might be Momma for good!

Growing up, my family adopted a stray cat who had been hanging around our neighbors house. She was the sweetest girl - would stand on her hind legs to reach your hands to make you pet her. Lots of rubs and kisses, and she was a drooler, too. We called her "Kitty" initially. I have clear recall of sitting with my sister trying to come up with a name for her - but nothing was right. So Kitty she was.

My husband and I named our girl, "Pfeffa", from the book "Watership Down" - Pfeffa, in that rabbit language, means Cat. It fits her perfectly - she even has a weird rabbit quality about her - short neck, long back feet, and a leaping type of run.

Our boy was Norville - from the movie "The Hudsucker Proxy" (Norville Barnes). We just loved that movie and thought the name Norville was perfectly unusual.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My boy Mackie was named for a character on a t.v show I liked and I just thought it was a cool fun , name

Cosette was named for a character in Lei Mis the musical-she was a great 'singer' and that name suited a really elegant looking cat!

suzi-An all american girl,some what of a tomboy name.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Mischka my neice picked out, Linx was the name the rescue center chipped him with so i kept it. Sundance I chose because his color just shined. I once had a cat named little S*it she was the runt and I figured someone would take her but no one did so I kept her and the named kind of stuck she didn't seem to mind. I also kept her brother who was a thief so his name was Bandit. I also had 3 pure black kittys Panther & Pepper & Smokey, and my Siamese mix was My Thai Thai just because it fit him. RIP sweet babies! I also had a shepard/wolf mix that I named Rhea because that was the human mothers name of romulas & remas(?) the greek myth of the children that were raised by wolves. That is my critter history for the last 30+ years.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The old boy, Snuggles (in my icon) was named by accident. ;) We were on our way to see him - we knew only that he was white with blue eyes - and I jokingly told Mom that we could call him Snuggles, like the Snuggle softener bear. Who'd have thought that he'd grow up to be a foul, grouchy jerk? :D Ahh, I miss him!

The ladies were already named when they came to me. Polly was named because she used to sit on shoulders when she was a kitten. Not sure how Mimi and Muffin were named.

Lisa

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am terrible at naming pets! We had a few strays show up over the years, and I always called them Kitty. When I got Kitty, I couldn't think of a good name for her, so I just call her Kitty. It fits her, though!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have given all my other cats names, but no name for momma. I just have not found a name that fits here. Am I wacked? I mean she deserves a good name, but I simply have not found one that "fits" her.
Seitcorta, sounds like we had the same idea -- our cat, Mom, adopted us too -- we never intended on keeping her forever, just until her kittens were adopted out, but we liked her too much to get rid of her. Anyway, no other names fit Mom as good as...Mom! So it stayed -- I think it's kind of endearing. :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I got Baily (my avatar, 1 year old), that was the name that was given to him by the previous owners. Didn't like the name at first but it grew on me. He is the coolest, most laid back cat that I know. Nothing bothers him, not even Psycho. When visitors come a visiting he greets them all then comes and leans against me. Guess thats his way of telling people that I am his and his alone.

I got Psycho when he was 12 weeks old. Even at that young age I could see he was crazy. His full name is El Diablo Psycho ******* Kitty. He's all of those names plus a few more. :wink:When Psycho greets people he always hisses at them but doesn't back away. Then he'll check them out. Just don't stick your face in his. Last one who did this is healing nicely. He sis "cure" my niece of epilepsy. Well not really but she hasn't had a seizure since he hissed at her. That was almost 9 months ago.

·
Registered
176 Posts
sounds like she already has a name that fits her! When I adopted Connor his name was Treble, since he has a really high voice...I didn't like that name, so when we walked out of the place I got him from, he went by Connor!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Spandex - not sure how this one happened! My boyfriend decided before we got them that our first pet would be called Spandex. Then we decided that rather than just take one kitten from the litter we would take two. When the got to us the runt (which was the one that was going to be called Spandex) didn't look like a 'spandex' so I decided she would be Twiggy (was so tiny, still is!) and our torty really suited the name Spandex...so there it is! My brother wanted us to call them poo and wee!!! That's just to mean!! :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
One of my cats is named Bogart. Like his famous namesake, he's tough on the outside, but has a heart of gold. Even as a kitten he swaggered around the place like he was king of the castle. Since he had a movie name, we gave our second kitty the name Buster Kitten, after Buster Keaton. He's no longer a kitten and we just call him Buster. In a couple of weeks we are getting a Japanese Bobtail kitten, and the children decided that since both our other cats have names that begin with B, we needed another B name, so the new kitten will be either Banzai or Bobzilla, depending on his personality.

My late, great cats were CC and Gina. CC came from a soap opera I used to watch, and Gina ate everything, so we named her after the Regina vaccuum cleaner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts