Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the pet store today to buy cat food. As always, I went by the cats up for adoption from a local rescue group. One cat, very sweet, is 13.5 years old and was surrendered because a two-year-old child was too rough with the cat. It made me angry and sad. I realize a two-year-old doesn't understand, but I think there are better options. My family had a cat when I was two and I loved that cat. She was aloof at times but she always slept with me (at least as far back as I can remember). What do you think about young children and cats?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think if the PARENTS act like PARENTS and TEACH the kids how to act around a cat and treat a cat it is okay. I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers and then there is me. We have each been raised around cats and other small animals. our parents taught us how to act around an animal. One of my cousins is four and when he comes over he is SO gentle with the cats. He will sit on the couch and he usually pets Dice. Dice is better with little kids since my other three are more shy(Dice has always been the more outgoing cat). He has only known my cats and family members cats. he has 2 dogs though so he has been taught also from an early age.

Saying that: it could depend on the cat too. When I know there is little kids coming over I usually put Fat Albert in a different room. he tolerates them but would prefer to be in a different room. he was around a lot of little kids but has always been skittish of them.Maybe it is because I am only 14 but I think before people have kids they need to think about their animals first. or if they are planing on getting a cat(or any animal) and also plan on having kids in the future they need to make sure they can juggle both pet and baby . They should also get there cat(s) used to little kids and lots of loud noise before having the baby.

My cat Fat Albert will tolerate little kids but I know he would rather be up on my bed sleeping and away from them so thats where he goes. I babysit every summer kids ranging from 3 months-12 years old. So ALL of my animals have to be kid friendly. I also take the time myself to teach kids how to act around animals. Like with cats show how to pick them up,pet them ect.. With dogs let them sniff you first and always ask the owner of the dog permission ect... I have a ferret now so i hope to teach little kids on how to pick up ferrets since they are like a kitten and very fragile.

Sorry for the book,lol. I didnt realize it was so long.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I once went to a client's house. They had a gorgeous kitten, who was about 4 months old. They had the kitten declawed so he would not harm the children. One of the children, was a 6 year old boy, who could not sit still. He chased the cat, picked up the poor cat every 5 seconds; the poor kitten got NO peace whatsoever. I thought it was the cruelest thing ever...soooo sad!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do believe it's the responsibility of the parents to teach their children how to treat cats (all animals) with respect. The only problem I have with my 4 year old is over enthusiasm. She adores the cats. I'm not afraid of the cats hurting her, and would never declaw a cat for that, I'm more afraid she will hurt the cats. If she gets out of hand, we remove her from the situation. It's not hard to teach a child how to treat a cat if they grow up with one and are shown how to respect them. But it's sad that more people don't have the patience to do this for all animals out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts