Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marmy will be seeing the vet Friday afternoon. I'll also update Dr about Mousie and I need to ask for de-worming meds because I saw a 'rice kernal' hanging from Curly's back end. I'll ask about doing ALL of them with droncit. (I need to make a list and have all their weights handy for dosing)

I also will speak to her about another cat I saw yesterday evening with a supporating wound. He belongs to a man up the street, but this man has never taken this cat to the vet in 4-5 yrs, it is still a tomcat and the man plans to move to WVirginia soon and I doubt he will take this cat with him. My own former ferals do NOT like him, he does not like them, and he is just a ratty-tatty old warrior looking cat.
Anyhow, it looks like either an abcessed bite or he had haematomas in his ears and this one got infected. He let me pet him and press some of the ooze out, but when I came back with a warm washcloth, he scampered off giving me dirty looks. I don't have any antibiotics to give him, and I really don't think he is my responsibility to treat...but I'll ask the vet what can be done and what I should do.

I may consider having Hubby take me over to the man's house (I won't go alone because he has made inappropriate remarks) so I can tell him his cat needs to be seen and/or threaten to call animal control and alert them he is withholding treatment for a cat who definitely needs it. I worry that this won't solve anything if he just claims the cat isn't his and is a stray. I don't know if Animal Control will pick the cat up and take it back for euthing (at least the cat won't be suffering any longer) or if they will leave it and the man stops feeding the cat, then the cat is wounded and on its' own.
I know if I tell the man his cat needs to go to the vet, he will whine/cry about his own poor health (injured back) that has prevented him from working and earning money and how little he has of it and he can't afford to take the cat to the vet, blah, blah, blah. I suppose all I can to is make a stink about it and hope he does the right thing.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Heidi I have a spray disinfectant its a purple spray ???? that I spray any wounds with .. the trouble is of course I treat immediately before its a mess ....

Maybe its better to call animal control ..... :(

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Heidi, two questions: Do you have any experience treating abscesses? And do you have some Betadine?

I've never seen a purple antiseptic spray. I have antiseptic spray that's clear, and it's not alcohol or peroxide. Don't remember the name just now... :fust

Treating an abscess is gross, but it's easy. I'll pm you with details if you want, I don't want to gross out people here.
But, if you're using the word suppurating, you've seen this before. :wink:

I hope the poor little guy has a chance to recover

·
Registered
777 Posts
The spray I use is necrospray and of course betadine ..... maybe necrospray is only available in South Africa.

As u say it easy .. I also have my in house vet to help .. Monty my 9 year old boxer has cured many an abcess in my cats . :wink:

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never treated an abcess.

LuckyDuck was the closest we ever came, and his was HUGE, like the size of a tennis ball hanging off his neck. We took him to the vet and THEY lanced, drained, cut dead skin away, stitched and bandaged it. I only had to change the bandage every few days.

Todd's ear was swollen, felt hot/hard and had a hole in the top that oozed a thin mix of pink/yellow when I pressed it and it continued to ooze and dribble. That is why I said it was supporating. Todd has had other abcesses around his jowls and on his legs from cat-fights, so I have seen him with abcesses before.

He is an intact tomcat who does not like my cats (and my cats don't like him) so I cannot bring him into my house to treat. I cannot count on him 'visiting' at a regular time to be able to treat him outside. I'm also having major surgery in a week, with a lot of appointments running up to the surgery date.

My only chance, is if my vet will give me an antibiotic I can give to Todd's owner so he can treat his cat. And for me to browbeat/shame him into caring for Todd's ear. I, myself, may have one shot to be able to try to clean that ear before I'm outta commission...and that is only if Todd is at the man's home when Hubby and I stop in to see. If Hubby doesn't have time to take me, I cannot go alone. This man has made inappropriate* comments when I've stopped before and I refuse to stop by myself ever again.

Gunter, please post about how to clean an abcess for me. Or PM me.

*he would jokingly make a comment about how the neighbors must think he and I were having an affair because my car was parked in his driveway and I was standing in his carport to give him medicine for Todd.
Yes, it was innocent, but I take my reputation seriously and I have no idea if he is saying those kinds of things TO the neighbors, so I'd rather only pop in for a visit when accompanied with Hubby from now on. I'm sorry for Todd, but I have to do it this way or not at all.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Heidi, poor Todd. I bet that ear hurts terribly. I don't know about your Animal Control, but ours can't do anything about cats that are not brought to the shelter. It is not in their mandate to help cats, so even if they want to they are not allowed to.

If the wound is oozing at least that is draining some of the garbage out, and that is a plus. I don't know if a one time treatment would do any good for the wound. Generally something likes that needs a more aggressive approach.

What an awful situation to be facing, I wish I had some good answers for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts