Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing history research for a project I'm working on, I came across a picture of what I assume is the Last Supper. Sitting by Christ is a little gray cat!
Now that I think about it, I wonder how many times cats have been painted in a "saintly" way. I'm going to bed soon, but this'll be something I'm going to look into in my spare time tomorrow.
I know a lot of black cats in pictures are portrayed as evil.... so now I want to prove that cats have a better side too!

P.S. If anybody knows any good/reliable sources to document the history of the chalice pall/goblet cover, please direct me to them! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
Not sure if this is true, but it's nice to read.

Excerpts From...
The Gospel of the Holy Twelve
Translated from the original Aramaic
by Rev. G.J.R. Ouseley
These scriptures do not appear in the King James authorized version.​

Jesus' Care For Animals​

7. AND as Jesus entered into a certain village he saw a young cat which had none to care for her, and she was hungry and cried unto him, and he took her up, and put her inside his garment, and she lay in his bosom.

8. And when he came into the village he set food and drink before the cat, and she ate and drank, and shewed thanks unto him. And he gave her unto one of his disciples, who was a widow, whose name was Lorenza, and she took care of her.

9. And some of the people said, This man careth for all creatures, are they his brothers and sisters that he should love them ? And he said unto them, Verily these are your fellow creatures of the great Household of God, yea, they are your brethren and sisters, having the same breath of life in the Eternal.

10. And whosoever careth for one of the least of these, and giveth it to eat and drink in its need, the same doeth it unto me, and whoso willingly suffereth one of these to be in want, and defendeth it not when evilly entreated, suffereth the evil as done unto me; for as ye have done in this life, so shall it be done unto you in the life to come.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's nifty!

And I couldn't wait... I browsed a bit. I liked this one (among others!). Such a typical cat! Curled up on blankets next to the fire.

1550 - Vermeyen: The Holy Family By The Fire

I have also heard a legend that's something about the tabby cat having an M on it's forehead, because that's where Mary patted it for snuggling with Jesus and keeping him warm during the night.

Oh, and of course we can't forget the fact that the ancient Egyptians worshiped cats as gods ;)

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
the M has also links to islam, do a quick seach on cats and islam and you will be very surprised, there also is a good coffee table book, CATS of CAIRO that looks at this, some very good proverbs involving cats, just sort of sad with the recent events..

·
Registered
2,677 Posts

A downgrade from being Egyptian Gods but on the right track.

One is the saying popularly attributed to the Prophet Muhammad: "Love of cats is part of the faith."

"For example: “the stories of Muezza, the Prophet Muhammad’s favourite cat: The most famous story about Muezza recounts how the call to prayer was given, and as Prophet Mohammed went to put on one of his robes, he found his cat sleeping on one of the sleeves. Rather than disturbing the cat, he cut off the sleeve and let him sleep."

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL I have that predicament quite often... I have to get up in the morning, but Nebbie (even sometimes Paizly) is sound asleep right on the part of the blanket I have to lift up to get out of bed. So I try to worm my way straight out ....which usually wakes them up anyway, but at least I tried to keep them comfy!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
It must be nice to wake up to sleeping cats.. have had only the oposite of that for many years(never can say I overslept or been allowed to)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I wouldn't call that being devious. I would call it being smart. I think the article overall shows that cats are very intelligent and adaptable, which makes them prime candidates to climb the evolutionary ladder.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Cats are originally from Irak, and around. So here in the Middle East we have tons of them (where I live there's 1 cat per inhabitant, most stray sadly). Cats used to be venerated in Ancient Egypt. I'll believe that we here still venerate cats when they open a branch of Petco. So far, the variety of stuff for cats is a shame. I dream of one day entering a Petco store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts