Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a problem with my landlord. i live in an apartment complex. we have some strays that have been here for years. i have been feeding them for a while and so have my neighbors. the high has been about 20-degrees the past 3 weeks.

so i got a letter yesterday saying not to feed the cats. that they are a nuisance and that they can have diseases.

well I’m not very happy. any advice?

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's quite likely that he is enforcing this policy due to complaints from others living in the apartment buidling. So it might not necessarily be an easy thing to do. I'm not sure what advice I could give you which you had not already considered - I myself would probably end up contacting a local animal shelter to help the cats find some care now that their feeding may have to come to an end.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Personally, I'd contact your local animal shelter and have them trapped and brought to the shelter, for their own safety.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Catman, can they be brought inside to your apt for shelter from the cold? I know that if I could get the cats inside my basement for the winter, I'd feel much better about their safety, rather than to see them running around outside in the snow and cold. :(

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
g'luck with whatever you do.

I'd be worried about what the landlord and/or complaining tenants might do if the cats keep coming around. I've read many horrible stories...

·
Banned
410 Posts
That is such a sad situation. I put a bowl of food out every night for any hungry cats that might be in the area and it is usually gone in the morning. I have even seen kitty paw prints in the snow where they have come to my door looking for food. I hope that I never get complaints about it. It's hard to catch these poor kitties when they are afraid of humans.

Are you sure that your local shelter would put them to sleep? I would hate to see these cats harmed by those heartless idiots just because they don't want them around. :cry:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I was going to advise alleycat.org also. If there is not a local ordinance against cats being outside without a leash, the landlord would be breaking the law if he poisoned them. It's a terrible thought, but you might want to call the SPCA and discuss the problem with them. I hope alleycat.org can help you.

Also check any local no-kill shelter for some people who might adopt the cats, and if they are strays, not ferals, you might want to post a description or pictures here in Cats in Need. We have members who care for ferals, but the odds of finding one close to you is not good. I wish you the best of luck, and hope you can continue to help those cats. Please let us know what happens!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
My advice is to try and get in touch with as many organizations as possible in your area that focus on strays and ferals.
When I fisrt started taking action on this matter I just put in searches on google and found quiete a few around here. Not a lot responded but for the ones that did I will work with them so that the kitties get good homes.
I believe that the best thing to do is to plea for the kitties at the best of your ability. Talk to the landlord and tell him that you are working something out. But in the meantime they should be free to stay and fed (especially that they have the shots!). I would also add the fact that they are great at keeping the property rodents free :wink: .
I know it is a lot of work. Please tell us how it is going. Best of luck to you and the kitties...

p.s. I can always come up with more ideas -

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
No new ideas, I just wanted to wish you luck with these cats. It is just confusing to me why these cats are such a problem to the landlord, especially since they have been altered and vaccinated. :? I don't understand some people.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The landlord is probably another one of those that we speak of that doesn't like cats simply because they either were brought up that way or they just choose to be that way.

Did you think of asking the landlord why he has a problem with it?

I hope these poor kitties can continue to be fed.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
It may not or it may not be the landlord- I believe other tenants have been complaining also - putting pressure on the matter. It is such a shame though. It saddens me that people don't put a little bit more thought into it. I would think twice before even living Sadam Hussein out there. Seriously now - it is so cold and it is nice that some people take time and feed the kitties. Why would some people be against it? I wish I could pull their sleeve and talk to them about it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we have continued to take care of the cats, just more discreetly. i would help them no matter what. i don't think they would harm the cats. the "landlord" is very corporate. i would make one **** of a stink if anything happened.

i have contacted allycat... i await their response.

also the weather has gotten much better :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I hope alleycat allies can find someone to adopt these babies and get them in out of the cold--hopefully to a home where they can be loved. It's wonderful that you're helping to take care of them. You're a good person. God bless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts