Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cats, one is 12 yrs the other is 10. They aren't pure bred, and I'm not sure what mix they are. The last few years they have begun puking rather frequently. Now between the two of them they are puking 2-4 times per week. They are not restricted to the house, I let them go where ever they want, but as they grow older they spend more time in the house. Their diet has not changed, I feed them the Wal-mart brand (Special Kitty) dry cat food because it is about all they will eat. I have dry food available to them all the time. I also feed them Wiskas canned food when they ask for it but only about 1 can a week. They seem to be throwing up unchewed dry food. Is there anything I can do to stop this?
I've been lucky so far as they hardly ever throw up inside, but I still would like to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Sven

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hello Sven! :)

Well, I have 6 cats, as does my Mother. My Mom has a cat that is older, he throws up all the time. That is very common to cats that are getting older. You can always have the Vet check them to be positive, but usually, this is a natural occurance.

Actually, a lot of times, even cats that are not too old will throw up from time to time, but the older cats will do it frequently. Not a day goes by that my Mom's oldest cat does not throw up. She has had to get used to it. All of her cats are indoor too, as are mine.

The best thing for aging cats is to buy a dry food formulated for older cats, also they have food that is formulated for healthy digestion. You may want to ask your Vet about that. As cats age, their nutrition requirements change, so if at all possible, it's best to use food based on the cats age range.

If there is nothing medically wrong with your cats, it's something that you may have to get used to as they age. Lots of luck to you! :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Oh geesh.... One of my girls is barfing all over the place right now... Figures that'd happen right after posting about throwing up, eh? lol :roll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts