Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year will be Yoshi's first Christmas, and I'm starting to think about how he'll be with our tree. Actually, I know how he'll be.....BAD.

The problem is, he's a chewer. He's gotten much better and listens to us when we yell & say no, but he'll be alone with the tree during the day when we're at work. We have an artificial, pre-lit tree....so if he chews through any of the wiring, none of the lights will work and the tree will be useless.

I was thinking of trying that Ssscat training aid, where it has motion sensors and will blast air when he goes near it. Do you think that might work?

Other than that, I have no ideas.....other than not to put the tree up this year!
Thoughts, experiences?

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Funny you mention that, I was just thinking the same thing earlier today with Shepherd. I don't he'll be ripping ornaments off and using the tree as a climbing toy......

I was thinking of just putting up my small tabletop one and minimizing the damage to its tiny plastic ornaments.......

·
Registered
383 Posts
I gave up on Christmas trees about 12 years ago. By the third Christmas with Methos, he had pretty much destroyed all the decorations. He was a tree climber. Now I just drape a few wooden decorations swagged in doorways & put out the Christmas sleigh/kitty bed.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I worried at first how my girls would be with the tree. When I put up the tree, they're always all over the lights and ornaments, wanting to play with everything. But, once the tree is up, they tend to leave it alone. Muffs sometimes sleeps underneath it, and Abby sometimes plays with some dangly ornaments at the bottom, but that's about it. If I ever were to have trouble, I'd give the ssscat a try.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are going to put up a tree, do it the safe way. What I did last year, which was the first year for my three litter-mate cats to experience Christmas was I chose a simple artificial tree. No water and climbing to worry about. I secured it to the corner with a line to prevent it from falling over incase one of the cats decided to try and climb it. I also laced the string of lights with tobasco (Bitter apple may be a preferred option) and used little wooden ornaments, pine cones and other ornaments that would not pose a problem to the cats if they were removed and played with. I also made sure that the wire hanger for the ornaments were well secured to the item. No tinsle was used and we strung popcorn and cranberries on a string for the garland. We ended up referring to it as an old fashion Christmas tree! I even omitted ribbons on the gifts that were under the tree. I thought for sure that the tree would be the centre of their attention and it ended up that only one ornament was knocked off and it was most interesting to them when it was going up and when it was being taken down. But now that I know, I'll allow a few nicer oranaments this year.... though I'll still stick to a simple artificial tree just to be safe.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Omg, my first Christmas a few years back with my 2 new kittens was a disaster. Autumn my older cat had never bothered the tree but Shadow and Ceasar destroyed my 7ft Christmas tree. They climbed the branches all the way to the top and chewed up LOTS of ornaments. When it was time to take the tree down I just threw it away. The branches were all broken and hanging downward from the tree. :( I hope Mia doesnt bother the tree this year but I only have a 2ft one just incase. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Zoe didn't bother the tree at all. In fact she LOVED sleeping under the Xmas tree and sulked when it came down each year. Gabe used to climb it and make a wonderful mess.

Last year Apple and Pedro had just come to live here so I wasn't certain with Apple's wildness what would happen. I put up a 2 ft table top tree. I'm still finding ornaments from it all over the place.

This year I'm getting a wall decal tree! I have a nice table I can put under it for gifts and I figure I'll make underneath the table wonderfully exciting for the kitties so she'll be more interested in playing under the table than on it. I really don't think Pedro will bother it at all. It's Apple who is my full time hard core menace. :) Thank gawd she's cute!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Last Christmas was the first one with the kitties, and they actually did pretty well with the tree. They loved laying on the tree skirt.

Occasionally I would come home to find an ornament or two on the floor (but thats why I have plastic ornaments :p). We also put a few stuffed animals in the tree every year, and last year we included three little stuffed kitties randomly in the tree...nearly every day those three little kitties were knocked out of the tree (no matter how high we put them up), and were laying in a small pile under the tree. :roll:

I don't think I could ever not have a Christmas tree with the cats...they get as much entertainment out of it as we do. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
How timely! I was looking at the Christmas decor at the store today, wondering if I dare try and have a tree this year. Thinking of putting up a tree as a test while I'm home all day over Thanksgiving...

By the way, ever notice how hard it is to find a pretty tree skirt that is feline-safe? Most of them have sequins and beads & other flotsam & jetsam that would wind up in Violet's mouth pretty darned quick!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just realized I had a pic of Zoe under the tree in my sig. lol Definitely a safe bet where she was if the tree was up and we couldn't find her!

Because she liked to play underneath it though she sometimes would knock it and rather than risk an ornament falling and potentially encouraging her to suddenly want to play with the tree, I'd decided when she was a kitten to not put ornaments on it. We have lights, extra wide ribbon for garland, and I put all of the holiday cards I receive on the branches. Cards aren't much fun when they fall and certainly aren't a worry if they're damaged by kitties.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
By the way, ever notice how hard it is to find a pretty tree skirt that is feline-safe? Most of them have sequins and beads & other flotsam & jetsam that would wind up in Violet's mouth pretty darned quick!
I used a red fleece blanket for a twin size bed as a tree skirt. That probably contributed to why MowMow enjoyed laying under the tree, his favorite throw blanket was under there. ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread! My husband and I have been debating whether we should have a tree or not too, as it's Milky's first Christmas. We have an artificial one with glittery branches, and we put up the lights and ornaments ourselves.

Although Milky is supposed to be a short-legged cat, we have no idea how he can climb so high! We're afraid he'll climb the Christmas tree (if we put it up) and we're also afraid he'll get injured or try to eat the tree/lights/ornaments. And what happens if he gets glitter in his mouth?? It's all so worrying!

I might see if the Sssscat deterent is available in the pet shops, although I somehow doubt I'll be able to find it...

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Maggie is my tree destruction artist. The other two aren't really interested. Thankfully Maggie has slowed down a bit as she's gotten older (she's 15) and she no longer aspires to be the angel on top of the tree. But she has bent all the branches, chewed through wires, stripped off tons of ornaments (during the night and brought them upstairs and put them in my bed), attacked the motion fawn I put under the tree (now his head has a permanent "tick" noise when it moves) and more.

So...the tree gets tied to a hook in the ceiling. I put bells on it so I know when she's in it. I found out that she wasn't so much interested in chewing wires, but she liked the labels on them...so all the labels on the lights are removed. Non-breakable ornaments, no tinsel or garland...I use 3" wide fabric ribbon and silk poinsettias. No ribbons or bows on presents and my gift recipients know that the corners of their box or gift bag are likely to be chewed.

I think I may actually buy a new tree this year. She's pretty much stopped climbing the last couple years and the old one is really bent and saggy. And there's a whole section of lights out. Might be the time to do it....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yeah most tree skirts have some sort of non-safe kitty decorations on them. We use a large fleece blanket we got at Walmart as our tree skirt...warm and soft and most importantly, kitty-safe! Plus it has snowflakes on it, so it's Christmasy. :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
When Buttons was a kitten (many, many years ago!) we worried about the tree too.

I remember her first Christmas didn't go that well in terms of tree climbing/clawing/eating!

She must have been 5 months old when the tree went up, and within an hour she'd climbed all the way to the top, and it fell over, then when we put it together again she clawed at the branches and started gnawing on them.

I think by the end of Christmas we wanted to turn atheist!

Her second Christmas wasn't as bad, she clawed at the branches, but that was it.

As for the third, she was purfectly fine.

She is now seven years old, and I'm not at all worried about this Christmas.

It gets better with age, so you'll just have to get through this one, and it will get better! :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I been debating a christmas tree also. real trees are out of the question, Cleo likes eating the pine and then getting sick. I have not had one in 2 years. I think I may go with an artificial one and see how it goes. But with two kittens maybe not such a good idea sigh...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts