Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my cat good food, brush him a few times a week yet my 12 year old male has such bad dandruff and what appears to be scabs on his skin.
Last year his coat was full of dandruff but with tufts of hair falling out and sometimes his coat looked greasy. HELP.
He has lost weight - now I could feel his spine. He was overweight.
He appears to be in good spirits and health. Back in March had to remove many of his teeth - bad gum disease. He is doing so much better since then. Just knew what is up with his coat.
My other 12 yr. old male's coat is fine - just sheds constantly - all year long same with the other cat.

They eat Science Hill Diet and Eukanuba foods.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You should probably feed an even better quality food.. Eukanbu is not a good food. I'd suggest Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, Felidae or Wellness.. There are others out there, but Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is great and highly recommended.

Have you checked for fleas? Fleas can cause really bad fur problems.. including dry skin, scabs, and black 'dirt' on the body. And if cat is allergic to fleas, the hair can become dry and coarse and plain unhealthy.

For weight loss, it could be the teeth coming out. You should consider switching to a wet only diet if you feed dry food. It will make it easier for your cat to eat, and still keep your cat thin and healthy. I'd suggest brushing your cats teeth also to help prevent future teeth problems.

I think a vet checkup is in order to get his skin tested to make sure he doesn't have a skin condition and a regular teeth cleaning

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Teeth brushing not necessary anymore - we did that - didn't help that much. Only a few teeth left. He does eat mostly canned food.
I haven't noticed fleas and do use BioSpot for fleas.

I'll see if I could find that cat food. I tried Nutro canned cat food - my cats hated it. You know how fussy they are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
which is better Advantage or Frontline? They are only good for 1 month?
So - I must use monthly?

·
Registered
23 Posts
cat4554,
I am not sure if you live in the Unites States, but if you do and are planning on getting either Frontline or Advantage from any of the Websites make sure you are getting one that is EPA approved. In other words it should be the same product that 'can' be sold in the Unites States.
There are a lot of websites(including eBay) that sells Frontline and Advantage made for Australia etc and these are not approved for sale in the United States by EPA.
The safest bet is your vet.

Summer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
summer said:
cat4554,
I am not sure if you live in the Unites States, but if you do and are planning on getting either Frontline or Advantage from any of the Websites make sure you are getting one that is EPA approved. In other words it should be the same product that 'can' be sold in the Unites States.
There are a lot of websites(including eBay) that sells Frontline and Advantage made for Australia etc and these are not approved for sale in the United States by EPA.
The safest bet is your vet.

Summer

THANK YOU - I DIDN'T KNOW THIS BUT I AM PLANNING ON BUYING IT LOCALLY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts