Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, why do my cats always like to dip their paw in the water dish and then lick the water off their paw?

And why do they like to move the food/water dish around and not keep it in one spot? L

Is there anything i can do to stop this? They keep spilling it. It's on a mat of some sort.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
My Missy does this to see where the water level is cuz she is almost blind. I think some cats do it for entertainment. My Sam used to do it to wash his feet. I'd find piles of litter at the bottom of the bowl every day. Get a flat bottom bowl. Easy fix.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just guessing here but my Gizmo used to do the same, He also used to scoop the food out of his bowl and lick it off his paws, This was years ago when I was using some old dog bowls that I had lying around and they where quite deep.

I replaced them with shallow bowls and he started eating normally straight away. (I don't think he liked his whiskers touching the side of the bowl)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My kitten loves to put her paws in water, too. I think some cats just do. We bought Willow a cat fountain, which she loves. But she also loves to drink from the tap. I've never seen that before. Very cute.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Skittles does both the water and food dish dipping...
I've told her many a time, with those kind of table manners, she's not going to be invited to any parties soon....
She is so far beyond just double dipping!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just guessing here but my Gizmo used to do the same, He also used to scoop the food out of his bowl and lick it off his paws, This was years ago when I was using some old dog bowls that I had lying around and they where quite deep.

I replaced them with shallow bowls and he started eating normally straight away. (I don't think he liked his whiskers touching the side of the bowl)
Interesting you should mention that he didn't like his whiskers touching the sides. I feel like my kitten is the same way. She loves to drink water out of the dog bowl which is much bigger than her dish. I rarely catch her drinking out of her dish and I wonder if it's because she does like her whiskers touching the sides...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Pippi was so bad about tipping over her water bowl that I keep it in the shower. Fine with her. If she flips the bowl, the water just goes down the drain. No clean up. Then she comes and tells me about it. :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yea, cats love feet in the water lol They do it mostly to check the level. I know mine like to chuck in a piece of kibble to find the water level.

I managed to stop the bowl drag by getting a flat bottom bowl, but it has rubber bonded on the bottom. I have a tile floor so it works great. No more sliding the bowl around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts