Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't really a cat chat topic but I wanted to know if anyone had a suggestion of what type of dog to get. I know that cats and dogs get along totally based on the individual personality of each, but does anyone know of any breeds that are MORE LIKELY to get along with each other? Or rather what dog and cat combos have worked for you? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm not sure if it works out always, but I've met many retrievers, like labradors or goldens that just don't care much if s/he has a kitten hanging in its tail. I guess that's one of the reasons why they use labradors and goldens as seeing dogs for blind people, they are so calm and cool.

Our breeder has 2 different breeds of dogs and a total of 4 dogs. 3 sheep dogs (I think they are irish) and one english bulldog. They all get along great with our breeders 4 cats. But the fun part is that the sheep dogs HATE the bulldog, they can't stay in the same room. But the cats are allowed to walk all over the place and the dogs doesn't care at all.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ioana, thanks for posting that link. (I had no idea there was a "Dog Forum"!) :eek:

My husband and I area also talking about getting a dog. The problem is we have a very spoiled 4-year old cat. While one of my concerns is how well the dog will get along with the cat, by biggest concern is how well the cat will get along with the dog. I'm not sure Dusty will ever forgive me for bringing another animal into the house!!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
DustyLou- (oh man, sorry so long!!!)

I recently went through this with my 5-yo female cat Stephen - who has a very dominant, "I am the queen" personality. She absolutely will not tolerate other cats. We brought home a 5-mo Yorkie 5 weeks ago. I was worried, but I received a lot of advice here that I can pass on to you.

The most important thing, I've learned, is make sure your cat will have space when he/she wants to get away from the puppy. Luckily cats can climb higher! We put up a child gate to block off our storage room. This allows Stephen a place for food, litter box, and space - and the puppy can't get into it. Stephen likes to sit in the room and look out at everyone. She's almost like, "This is my room. So beat it." 8O

Another thing is to discourage the puppy from chasing the cat. Although this can be fun for puppy, an adult cat may not appreciate it. I know Stephen doesn't.

And, above all, don't cut down whatsoever of your attention toward the cat. Keep any routines you have as far as playtime and affection. You don't want kitty to get jealous.

Ok... here's our situation, now.
It's been 5 weeks, and they get along well. Within the first week, I was able to hold both in my lap, although very separately -- they by no means cuddle! LOL.

Our puppy was actually the jealous one. She was in my lap one day and Stephen came up, the puppy snapped at her. Not allowed.

The puppy likes to follow Stephen around and play with her tail. Sometimes Stephen will allow it, other times she escapes.

Now Stephen initiates play by running at the puppy sideways, back arched, and stopping right in front of her... then dashing off.

Oh, and watch for the smart kitty to try to set up the puppy to get in trouble. Stephen likes to do that!

All in all, I guess I can say that it will work itself out. Just be the "Mom" and the mediator and let them work at their own pace for accepting each other. :)

whew... that was too long. i must rest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks iona for the link. It was very helpful. I was thinking about getting a Pom. My cat is going to be bigger than the dog, so I'm sure he'll school the poor pup if he goes out of line. I hope it works out!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
You are welcome Dusty&Lou and Dimmerz.
My mother-in-law has a pom and she is getting along quiete well with my kitties. Doodles does think she is a little diva - she is too funny. Idella, the dachshund is more loving but as long as you will work with your pets any doggie shall do fine. Don't forget to post pictures :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
If your really worried - get a smaller dog... please! Bigger dogs are nice - but if they lost it at any point - your cat can be dead meat. Dachshunds are really nice with cats I find - they are about as big (if not smaller) than the cats are - therefore the cats don't feel like they have to use as much force in order to get them to back off.

I used to have bigger dogs - and if they wanted to play with the kitties - since my cats were afraid - the bigger dogs got the worst injuries. My smaller dogs never had to be taken to the vet for playing with my cat. The worst my cat ever did to my small dog was hooking into him and biting his ear... that's about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts