Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8O Took one of my cats to the vet 4 days ago to get teeth cleaned and paws reclipped (regrew partially after declawing, I'm not the first owner of the cat, so I didn't torture him). Ever since he came home, our other cat doesn't want to go near him anymore, and keeps staring and growling and hissing at him. Our vet said this was common, but how long is it supposed to last??? They used to be inseperable....

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
This happens because the cat that went to the vet comes home covered in lots of unusual scents and the cat that stayed home, pretty much doesn't realize that this is his old buddy. It usually settles out in a day or so, but since it hasn't, try taking a towel and rub it on one, then the other, then back to the first to intermingle their scents. Also put a few drops of vanilla on the back of their necks to help them smell the same.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The cat that was at the vet doesn't smell right. You need to make him smell right. Here are three ways to make this happen. Try 1,2 or all 3 of the options.

1. Take any blanket that the cat always sleeps on, that smells like he should smell and rub it on him.

2. Take a slightly damp rag, rub it on the away cat, then on the home cat, then on the away cat again. (Transfers the cats smells onto each other)

3. Put a drop of vanilla between the shoulder blades of both your cats.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
There's something to be said for consistency :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
Now that was funny! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. Tried the vanilla trick and the rubbing with towels. So far they are still ignoring each other or having a mexican standoff.... even tried to get em high with some catnip, rubbed it on them, so they'd both smell like the nip.... :wink:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
They'll get over it. The scent thing will help. Your at home cat thinks you've brought home a stranger and you away cat wants to know why the other cat is acting so weird.

It usually doesn't last more than a few hours after the cat gets home from the vet. But it varies as to how long the cat has been gone and what they did to that cat at the vet (were they in a kennel where other cats had been housed, etc). It can take several days.

So, I wouldn't worry about it. They'll remember each other soon. But the scent thing will help.

The point is to make them smell like each other. Whenever someone asks about this, I'm tempted to suggest rubbing the cats together. Then I picture you holding one cat in each hand with your hand on their tummies and rubbing their backs together. NOT A GOOD IDEA. But fun to picture.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Sometimes a treat helps too. I'll serve up some tuna. Both cats come to get a share and I'll feed them bit by bit while they sit in front of me. It gets them closer together and feeling happy (tuna happy).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update....It has now been a 10 days since the vet, and the cats are still not getting along. I have tried all the tricks. All they do is avoid each other and when they are near one another, they growl at each other or hiss. Seems a little better, but not much :(.

·
Registered
118 Posts
new cat

I would take the cat that wasn't removed from the house, take it out of the house, let the "new cat" roam the house, bring back the "older" cat. Trap the "newer" cat in a room and wait until they play with paws under the door. Treat the "newer" cat like a new cat. More attention to the "older" cat to show that you don't favor the "newer" cat. But give the the other cat attention as well since its not really new. This may take weeks.
Switch sleeping blankets as well.
I am expecting to do this since my cats in the hospital, but he will need to be separated anyway for a few weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. It took about three weeks for the cats to start getting along again, thought it was never gonna happen, but things seem pretty much like they were before the "vet." Whew!

·
Registered
118 Posts
yeah

yeah, that's great. one of mine is being hissy lately since one of mine was in the vet for a week. I need to have patience as well. He was separated for 2 weeks before we let him out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hissy Fits

Mine used to do that too...tux was real laid back; it was no big deal to him when Funny-Face came home from the vet. Funny-Face on the other hand would freak out if Tux came home smelling like the vet's office. He would follow Tux around and hiss at him for a couple of weeks. I wonder if he just didn't do it out of habit after the first couple of days?? My vet was real good about letting both cats be together if only one needed work done. I brought my own baby blanket, food, litter, and litterpan so the extra cat didn't cost them anything. I think it helped the sick cat out by having someone familuar there with him for comfort. Funny-Face hates the vet so much he will hiss at his bag of food too since I get their food from the vet. If I really want to mess with his head, i will buy him canned food and let him sniff the cans. he gets confused as to whether he should be excited over getting a can or hiss at it because it smells like that evil place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts