Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 kittens. one 4 month old one 9 weeks old. I took them camping and they swam! Ever since then my significant other has been putting them in the bath with him. He takes treats to make it a positive experience. They aren't stressed, eat the treats, walk around...We keep the water low enough that their faces are dry. They are moggies no bengal in them. One DSH one DLH...anyone else have cats that don't mind the water??

that is them in the canoe while camping the youngest is asleep in his carrier.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
If they jump into the water, bathtub or otherwise, then they like it. If they're put in it and don't kill you, they're just biding their time.....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Oz likes water and will try to stand under any running tap - the others hate it. Each to their own, I guess! I think yours are brilliant!

·
Registered
98 Posts
So cute! I love them chilling on the boat! Many cats don't mind water, lots even like it! There's even the breed Turkish Van that are known as the swimming cat! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Your cats are adorable! There's something almost dog-like about you being able to take them anywhere (camping, car rides, boat rides, for a dip in the lake even!). It seems fun though, and if they aren't stressed or upset (which they seem very relaxed and happy in those photos) I think it's wonderful.

I used to have a water loving cat. Sassy used to take 'showers' in the kitchen or bathroom sink until she was four or five years old. We'd turn it on a slow trickle so she could get a drink, and after she was finished drinking she'd climb into the sink and sit under the running water! It was so funny, I really wish we'd got it on camera. These days she's really not interested in running tap water.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow this is impressive! Your cats are amazing!

My three cats don't like water. They are not scared of it but they don't enjoy it neither! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's awesome, I wish my cat loved the water. The only thing he likes to do is drink water from the sink.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Amazing! This pushes the limits of what we usually think is possible with cats.

What great owners you guys are. Cool to see cats in a boat relaxing too! I have a kitten who will play in a slightly wet tub, but only if she goes in on her own. Any standing water in it and she panics and jumps out.

I think if cats are introduced to water in a positive way, it's not so bad for them. In the wild, there certainly would be situations where it would benefit them to be comfortable with water (i.e: hunting things in or near streams: fish, frogs, salamanders, mice, etc.).

How did you guys go about getting them to like camping? They never try to run away or panic?

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is amazing! I have thought about taking my cats camping before, but I'm worried about them running off. My little manx kitten loooooves the water. She will sit in the bath tub and trill as loud as her little voice can go until I come turn the water on and plug the drain for her. I usually let it get a few inches deep and sit on the edge of the tub to make sure she's safe. She will roll around in it, stick her face under water and blow bubbles, bounce around and splash. She's a crazy one, for sure...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have three cats that like to play in water. In the past I had two half Siamese cats that liked to jump in the shower with me and get soaked. They loved being towel dried after the shower.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is amazing! I have thought about taking my cats camping before, but I'm worried about them running off. My little manx kitten loooooves the water. She will sit in the bath tub and trill as loud as her little voice can go until I come turn the water on and plug the drain for her. I usually let it get a few inches deep and sit on the edge of the tub to make sure she's safe. She will roll around in it, stick her face under water and blow bubbles, bounce around and splash. She's a crazy one, for sure...
Have you gotten her a rubber ducky yet? :wink:
Water toys might help.
My kitten will fetch a tin foil ball and pull it out of the tub. (Just make sure the ball is bigger than the drain!)

·
Registered
100 Posts
My orange tabby likes to roll in dirt. After a while I would just hose him off and he didn't mind. Now, when it's bath time, he goes into the shower with me.

He doesn't mind being out in the rain, either. I haven't tried deep water swimming with him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts