Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any adverse effect to cats eating dog food? My wife bought a (dented can, only .20 cents) of "Kibbles and Bits" wet food to see if they would like it, since it was cheaper than regular cat food.

Maybe a vet (nutritionist) could comment.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
one off okay, changing food from one to another tho can upset a cats stomach and either make it sick or diarehoea.
Cats CANNOT eat dog food regularly, cats are carnivores and dogs are omnivores. Dog food does not have enough of if any the essental fats etc etc which can be found in cat food, which cats need. That is also why dogs should not eat cat food, it has too much for them, thats why dogs can but put on a vegitarian diet and cats cant.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
For a treat from time to time it's OK, but a cat can't live a healthy life on dog food. Dogs and cats are two very different species and they need different amounts of everything in their food. Dog food for an example doesn't contain enough protein for a cat and not enough taurine and lack og taurine can lead to blindness and heart failure.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I second that! (or third it?). Cats have extremely complex and sensitive metabolic needs that cannot be met with dog food. As mentioned, an occasional can of dog food isn't going to hurt, but a steady diet of "cheap" dog food will get you a very sick cat and very "not cheap" vet bills.

It constantly amazes me that people think that saving a few cents on food is smart. It's not--it's what we used to call "penny wise and pound foolish." You save a little bit now but lose *big* bucks later when the cat develops food-related illnesses like diabetes or urinary tract disease.

It's way worth spending the money to keep your cat on healthy, nutritious food right from the start.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
20 Posts
What if both cat food and dog food is always available to a cat that prefers dog food? One of my cats regularly steals dog food from the dog. And I don't mean just a kibble or two, he stands there for a few minutes (has to stand on his hind legs to reach the elevated bowl) and makes a regular meal of it. His own cat food is always available, (and just a few feet away) but I've never seen him eat that for as long as he seems to spend at the dog's bowl. He does eat canned cat food, but he doesn't get that much of that. Should I increase his canned food amount in case he's eating mostly dog kibble instead of cat kibble? I can't tell how much of the cat food he eats because I have another cat that might be eating it instead. Or do I not have to worry if both foods are available all the time? I always just thought it was a funny trait, but now that I think about it I'm getting concerned.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Best bet is to not leave food out. It isn't good for either dogs or cats to nibble 24/7. If you meal feed, then the cat won't have the opportunity to eat the dog's food.

It is dangerous for a cat to eat much dog food, since it displaces what the cat should be eating and nutrient deficiencies are likely.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. The cats did not particulary care for the dog food anyway, and we just threw it out.

We ususally split a 3 oz. pouch of "Whiska's" between the two cats, per day and keep Purina dry food out for them, plus fresh water. Occassionally we'll feed them some cooked chicken breast. I assume this is OK.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Dr. Jean. I will try to get the dog to eat regular meals. I got used to free feeding because he used to be so skinny and take sooooo long to eat. But he's a good weight now, so we can do regular meals. Good thing this thread came up, it never would have occured to me that Blue (the cat that eats dog food) may be eating unhealthy. And after Trixie getting cancer (even though she never ate dog food) I am a lot more paranoid about what they eat. I'm not even sure they should get any dry food anymore at all...seems like people in these forums think canned food is better. Maybe the dog shouldn't have kibble either...Hmm, I think I got some researching to do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts