Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARGHHHHHH!!!
I am at my wits end! I have 2 male cats just turning a year old. They were fixed back on June 2nd. Up until they got fixed they got along fine.. now the bigger guy wants to kill the lil fellow. I cant turn my back for a moment and the big guy is at him. I talked to my vet and she said to put them outside but yikes... where I live I am so close to a busy road I dont want to take that chance. To seperate them means I have one door in my house and thats the bathroom. To put the big cat in there is a nightmare he literally shreds the place. It takes me hours to clean it up and I really dont think its fair to lock the lil one up when he is not the instigator in all this. I am to the point where I think I will have to give the big one away. That breaks my heart because he is such a sweet & playful guy ( when the other one isnt around anyways,lol). I have tried putting vanilla on both of them... someone told me that if they smelled the same they shouldnt fight but that didnt work. They did smell really nice tho, lol.
So my question today is has anyone out there been thru this ... and is there hope?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well - I don't have much experience with 2 cats but I would not recommend taking them outside. It is very dangerous for the out there, especially if they are used to the inside. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yes, there is hope. First you must re-introduce the kitties to one another.
Put a drop of vanilla on the back of their necks to begin with - it will make them smell pleasantly alike. When they are neutered they undergo a very unpleasant experience and their fur still carries the smells from the "horrible"place.
You must also keep them separate and then gradually let them smell each other through the door. When you are confident enough bring them together and give them treats, food, lots of attention - equally shared between the two. They must learn to associate the happy times with being together. Play therapy between the two, with your moderating it, will help re-direct the frustration in a positive way.
I am glad to hear you are not going to let them outside - it is not going to solve your problem and it is very dangerous.

Here is a link from Dr Jean's site as well

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

best of luck and let us know how it is going as you put the advice into practice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts