Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Saturday, I lit the pilot lights for my gas logs in the family room. I never got around to using the logs last year, so this is the first time the girls have seen them lit. I figured Muffs and Abby would like to sit on the fireplace surround, since it would be warm and cozy. Nope!

Muffs is mesmerized by the fire. She will often go up onto the surround and sniff at the logs (there’s a safety screen in front, so she can’t hurt herself). But, she still seems a little scared of the fire. Thus far, Abby is keeping her distance and has yet work up the nerve to go up onto the surround. I’m curious as to whether they will sit on the surround once they get a little more used to the logs being lit. Here they are below, with Muffs being brave and Abby looking none too sure about things!

·
Banned
470 Posts
I am sure they will. :)

Bud has a cat that is mesmerized by fire as well, and has burned himself multiple times. Not the brightest claw on the block. Can't be left unattended by the fireplace either, as he'll cook himself.

In fact, even once he was just allowed to bask on the patio under some serious sun and we forgot about him, and I just about burned myself on his black fur trying to pick him up to get him to go inside.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Cuties!! I love Abby checking things out at a distance. Muffin seems to be enjoying herself though, heh! Nice fireplace by the way. :p

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I like the fireplace because it's a "two-way": one side is open to the family room and the other side is open to the kitchen. I'm nice and cozy right now, sitting in the family room with the fire going. Abby's sitting on the back of my chair watching me type. Her paws are on my shoulders and she's "making biscuits". I just love it when she kneads...it's so sweet! :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That's a cute picture; I love fluffy cats :) I have spent the last few months trying to keep my kittens out of the the fireplace, and I came home several times to and found Simone covered in tell-tale smudges of soot!! I blocked it up with a fan and a hand weight set, but they kept getting in. I moved the blockade a couple of days ago because I was decorating for Christmas, and they haven't played in the fireplace since! lol

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Awwww, cute!

I wish my fireplace worked. It uses real logs... but the back wall of it has loose bricks (one has even fallen out), and I doubt that's very safe. I'm sure Paizly would love to lounge by it... not quite sure how Nebbie would react. Either fascinated or frightened - she's wishy washy about so many things!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a cute picture; I love fluffy cats :) I have spent the last few months trying to keep my kittens out of the the fireplace, and I came home several times to and found Simone covered in tell-tale smudges of soot!! I blocked it up with a fan and a hand weight set, but they kept getting in. I moved the blockade a couple of days ago because I was decorating for Christmas, and they haven't played in the fireplace since! lol
Sooty kitties, yikes! I always keep the screen closed and locked, because I don't want to come home to the world's first all-black Ragdoll...:?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
What a great picture :) so cute!

We've got a gas-log fireplace too. Gracie occasionally sits on the brick part in front of the opening when the fire is going, but I get the feeling that she is a little unnerved by the hissing and blowing sounds of the gas itself, it's a bit noisy. She does sit further away on the rug, where there's still some heat, but the fireplace is less of an attraction than we would have thought. Maybe a wood-burning fireplace would be more compelling for her.

Fran

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My gas logs actually aren't very noisy, except when I first turn them on, whereupon there's an initial "whoosh" noise. Each time the girls hear the "whoosh", they run and hide underneath the coffee table. All I see are two little noses sticking out! A minute or so later, they get brave and come back out again.

The fireplace was initially wood-burning, but I converted it to gas logs a few years back because I didn't like dealing with the mess of a wood fire...not much chance of me converting it back to wood! :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Sooty kitties, yikes! I always keep the screen closed and locked, because I don't want to come home to the world's first all-black Ragdoll...:?

Unfortunately, the cats have figured out how to weave in and out of the safety screen (like a thick heavy wire) to get into the fireplace. They became more fascinated when I blocked it to keep them out; the only thing I can think of is to wire it shut?! I don't know that I will ever use the fireplace, so I think that is the easiest solution.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately, the cats have figured out how to weave in and out of the safety screen (like a thick heavy wire) to get into the fireplace. They became more fascinated when I blocked it to keep them out; the only thing I can think of is to wire it shut?! I don't know that I will ever use the fireplace, so I think that is the easiest solution.
That's about the only thing I can think of, unless you wanted to invest in a permanent screen/glass door enclosure. My screen is not free-standing. It's part of an "all-in-one" glass door enclosure that is permanently bolted to the fireplace. In the winter, I open the glass doors, but the screen remains in place. The screen doors can be opened from the middle to allow access to the interior, but when the screen doors are closed, they can be locked to prevent children and animals from getting through.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Ugg sooty kitty and kitty prints. In a remodel I did there was a pass thru fireplace. We put in fake logs but the cats kept walking thru and tracking soot all over the bonkos. I hate bonkos. So I talked her into putting granite on the bonkos to 1. Clean up easier 2. Tie it in with the rest of the granite in the bar area of the livingroom. The granite is a dream to clean up.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a nice fireplace and the granite looks great...I absolutely LOVE the leopard on the log!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Me too! Stunning fireplace, Merry. If I was one of your cats, I'd be sleeping right up there on that granite all day, hehe. :p
That isnt my fireplace. Its a remodel I did. Im a general contractor. The owner has 2 fireplaces and the cost of the propane is very expensive. I wouldnt want that bill. But luckily its just a drop in the bucket for her. She has 4 wonderful cats and she is a total animal person.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts