Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. awhile back we discovered our cat was doing more then just peeing in a few places that we quickly cleaned and even bought a carpet cleaner for. In fact, a whole section of our hallway, in a 12 foot area in each direction from the room housing her litter box was saturated in urine. I had to remove the carpet... we have not been able to afford to get it replaced.

We took the cat in to get tested, this is the second time mind you, and she had a urine track infection, really bad case of it. Well, we gave her medications, relocated her litter box to a upstairs room isolated away from everything else (the only thing upstairs is a bedroom and bathroom where her stuff is now) and we locked her in there for about 3 weeks, while we gave her medication and what not. After the three weeks we let her out, she was looking much thinner and seemed to be a happier cat. Maybe a few months went by, i don't know...

Anyhow... over the last week or so, I noticed while walking by the stairs leading to her area, that it was starting to smell like one big litter box. I mentioned this to my wife and she agreed and so she tried address issues more frequently, and cleaning the box, etc. Well, this morning I got up and I could smell the urine smell load and clear much like we had earlier. Tonight my wife found a wet spot upstairs. I proceeded to pull carpet (brand new, that room is never used) and sure enough, pee stains all over it.

I also had mentioned to my wife that the cat looked bigger than she had been just 2 days ago.

So, we suspected she has another urine infection. She was a white cat when we got her as a kitten and slowly she has started to get darker and darker. At first it a lite tan in some areas, but still mostly white. Well, it seems in the past few months her color changing is accelerating. In fact, she now only has 3 small white patches left on her back. She is 3 years old. She keeps getting more brown.

Is this normal? Cat fur changing thing? Could we have a sick cat on our hands, like more than just some medication for a few weeks would fix? I can't afford to replace the carpet in the hallway, otherwise the upstairs now that will have to be ripped out tomorrow when I get off work.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If it is signs of when she has been sick in the past I would get her checked out again by a vet.
Some cats colours do change, I didnt think it went on until 3 years of age but I may be wrong. Tonkinese start to change colour around the 6 month mark. Vienna is part tonkinese (her mum was a tonkinese who escaped for a quickee) and at around 8 months she went from jet black to chocolate all over her coat.

I will also move this to health and nutrition where Dr Jean is more likely to see it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I would say there is an underlying cause to repeat UTIs. Maybe the brand of food or something more sinister like diabetes. Definitely something to check out.

Sabby's fur got a lot darker just before he was diagnosed with diabetes. His brown fur turned black, but his white fur stayed white. Plus he had repeat bladder infections (is that the same as a UTI?) from all the sugar in his system. However, he lost weight. He didn't get bigger.

I'm sure a more knowledgeable poster can give you some good advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts