Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Punky and Elly to our families cottage these last few days, and each time I take them on vacation with me they get angry with each other. For the first 36 to 48 hours they growl and spit at each other. (which I find odd, because at home they're the best of buds.. they sleep and play together all day.)

It's silly too, because they follow each other around growling and spitting... they also take turns at who's going to be the "innocent and inquistive one" and who's going to be the mean old grouch that starts growling.

Growing up, we've always had a pair of cats and I've never seen this type of behavior before. Everyone I've asked hasn't seen it before either. It's not necessarily a problem, as they get over it every time.

One thing to note is that they travel in two seperate carriers. Both of them are only big enough for one cat, I've been thinking of buying one big enough for the both of them and was wondering if this would help.

Thanks for any advice,

·
Registered
454 Posts
Putting them in a single carrier might help. With them separate, for all they know, they might think the other is responsible for taking them elsewhere.

It may be a Stan and Ollie type reaction, like when Ollie would tell Stan, 'this is another fine mess ya' got us into". :lol:

Hmmm.... it could be worse if you had three. Then it might be a Three Stooges remake. Oooh.... slap, slap, slap ....... yuk yuk yuk.

I guess I'm not helpin', huh?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, you might be right in some ways.

The large carrier is something I think I'm going to do regardless... I hate carting two of them around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 3 cats all together. 2 of them travel together in the same carrier and have from day one, and one travels by himself because he's a little bigger and has medical issues. The 2 that travel together do just fine, but the loner panics, stress out, and always causes a scene that stirs up the bunch when we get where we are going. It can get pretty loud at times and I always worry about who is going to hurt who.

My vet recently told me about Feliway. A plug in device that releases pheromones into the environment that calms the kitties and helps to alleviate stress. I was skeptical at first, but it really did work by calming everything down.

I have moved several times, and I only wish I had known about it sooner. I was told it would work faster if the pheromones were in the air prior to the cat's arrival, but I haven't been able to work that luxury into my schedule. I just plug it in as soon as we get there and it's not too long, just an hour or so, before all the kitties are more comfortable and relaxed. Of course, I'm sure it works differently for different cats, but it might be worth a try to have with you when you travel.

I listed a link below to take you right to the product so you don't have to hunt it down, but if you have any trouble with the link, you can always search for it on the Petsmart site. I encourage you to check it out. I hope I was able to help!

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bf ... =hardgoods

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice, I can't believe I hadn't thought of Feliway sooner. My only qualm with it is that it's an expensive product. It's about the same price or even more expensive than upgrading cat carriers like I'm planning on doing.

I guess if the carrier doesn't work, Feliway sure will. I just hate to see my girls angry with each other...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts